- 2013 NJCAA National Runner Up
Century Baseball News
The NJCAA released its post season award winners on Tuesday, June 3, 2014, and several Century baseball players were honored:
- Justin Anderson (DH – Plymouth, MN) was named NJCAA 1st Team All American. Anderson was also named to the NJCAA All Region XIII team.
- Jake Lindberg (1B – (Mora, MN) was named NJCAA 3rd Team All American. Lindberg was also named to the NJCAA All Region XIII Team.
(RHP – Montevideo, MN) and Logan Busch
(OF – Inver Grove Heights, MN) were also named to the NJCAA All Region XIII Team.
During the past 4 years, Century has had 7 players named NJCAA All Americans, and 11 players named to the NJCAA All Region XIII team.
In addition, the team has had numerous members selected to play in the Northwoods League, one of the premiere summer college baseball leagues in the country.
This summer, sophomore pitchers Miles Nablo
(Eden Prairie, MN) and Dakota Belter
(Somerset, WI) are pitching in the Northwoods League.
Nablo is with the Eau Claire Express, and Belter is with the Willmar Stingers.
About Century College Baseball
As a member of the Century College baseball team, you'll have the opportunity to
participate in a complete, comprehensive, nationally–ranked baseball program,
which includes an 18–20 game fall schedule, and a 56–game spring schedule.
Fall and Spring Schedule
The fall and spring game schedule is very competitive, with numerous games scheduled with nationally–
ranked teams from all over the country. The fall baseball season begins in late August and runs
until November 10.
Spring practice begins January 10. The team takes a spring trip to Florida
in March where they play 12-14 games, and also have 10-12 games scheduled in the Metrodome
beginning mid-February. The team travels to play scheduled games in Illinois, Nebraska, and Kansas on occasion.
The Century College baseball team plays and practices on campus on their brand new baseball
complex. The on-campus facilities include indoor and outdoor batting cages, a
state-of-the-art fitness center, and much more.
The 2014 team has their eyes set squarely on one thing: A return trip to the NJCAA World Series and another run
at a National Championship. The Wood Ducks finished the 2013 season as National Runner-Up, losing in the championship
game of the NJCAA World Series. The 2013 team finished the season with a 42-13 record, and were ranked #2 in the final
NJCAA III national baseball poll last spring.
In 2014, the pitching staff looks to be the strength of the team again. Leading the pitching staff for the Wood Ducks
will be sophomores: RHP Colton Vien (9-3, 2.43, All Region); sophomore RHP Eldon Evans (7-2, 1.57); sophomore RHP Miles
Nablo (2-1, 4.09); and sophomore closer Dakota Belter (12 saves, 0.28) who led NJCAA III in saves in 2013.
The Wood Ducks return several position players from 2013 who had very good offensive seasons. Some of the top returning
offensive players returning include: OF Ben LaMere (.385, 2 HR, 27 RBI, 18 SB); C Tucker Bucholz (.350, 10-2B, 24 RBI);
1B Jake Lindberg (.340, 9-2B, 3 HR, 26 RBI); OF Ryan Nicolai (.346, 6-2B, 2-3B, 24 RBI, 11 SB); INF Justin Anderson
(.321, 4-2B, 12 RBI); and 3B Jordan Stroh (.250, 3 HR, 38 RBI). Transfers Christian Abilla (OF - Iowa Central CC)
and Eric Olheiser (SS - St. Mary’s) will also add punch to the lineup.
talented recruiting class, which includes 8 players who were named All-State their senior year, will be looked upon
to make an immediate impact. Some of the top incoming players include:
- Logan Busch, OF, Simley HS
- Christian Abilla, OF/P, Stillwater HS (transfer–IA Central CC)
- Eric Olheiser, SS, Tartan HS (transfer–St Mary’s)
- Bo Howard, 3B, Marshfield HS, WI
- Arich Juberian, 2B/SS, Bloomington Kennedy HS
- Spencer Merle, OF, Farmington HS
- Jack Niedenfuer, LHP, Andover HS (transfer–Kirkwood CC, IA)
- Austin Booher, RHP, Stillwater HS (Transfer–St. Thomas)
- Stephen Howlett, RHP, Fargo South HS, ND
- Josh Stuempert, RHP, Woodbury HS
- Tim Truninger, SS, Roseville HS (transfer–Black Hawk CC, IL)
- Brody Schintz, RHP,Simley HS
- Wynn Bigham,OF, Minnetonka HS (transfer–DMACC)
- Skylar Cary, SS, Brookings HS, SD
- Hunter Dicus, 1B, Elk Mound HS, WI
- Geoffrey Fisher, LHP, Edina HS
- Nathan Olin, RHP, Somerset HS, WI
- Alex Freese, RHP, Osceola HS, WI
Century opens the 2014 season in Memphis, TN where we will participate in the Babe Howard Classic February
27-March 2. The team will also travel to Orlando, FL to play 14 games in the RussMatt Invitational, March 12-21,
and to Illinois for 6 games, March 27-30.
"We had a tremendous season in 2013 and now we need to continue to build off that," stated Head Coach Dwight Kotila.
"We have a very talented nucleus of players. If everyone works hard and stays focused, I feel we will be in position
to make a deep playoff run towards another berth in the NJCAA World Series."
2012-13 Individual Player Awards
The NJCAA released its post season award winners on Wednesday, June 5, 2013,
and several Century baseball players were honored:
- Zach Horn (C – Bloomington, MN) was named NJCAA 1st Team All American. Horn was also named to the NJCAA All Region XIII team, and
he won the Rawlings Golden Glove Award (given to the top defensive catcher in the NJCAA III).
- Jared Dettman (LHP – Somerset, WI) was named NJCAA 3rd Team All American. Dettman was also named to the NJCAA All Region XIII Team.
- Colton Vien (RHP – Montevideo, MN) was named to the NJCAA All Region XIII Team.
The following players were named to the NJCAA World Series team:
- Zach Nielsen (Marion, IA)
- Jordan Stroh (Maple Grove, MN)
- Jace Otto (Blaine, MN)
During the past 3 years, the team has had 5 players named NJCAA All Americans, and 7 players named NJCAA All
Region XIII players. In addition, the team has had members selected to play in the Northwoods League,
one of the premiere summer college baseball leagues in the country.
This summer, sophomore pitcher Jared Dettman (Somerset, WI) will be pitching for the Eau Claire (WI) Express
in the Northwoods League, and Eldon Evans is pitching for the Alexandria Blue Anchors.
Director of Athletics/Head Baseball Coach Dwight Kotila, 651.779.3325