Ten Steps for Receiving Financial Aid
If you're new to the financial aid process, be sure to read our "Ten Steps to Receiving Financial Aid".
Each academic year, you must submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online. This one application determines your eligibility for federal and state grants and Direct student loans. Although the Financial Aid Office processes applications on an ongoing basis, we recommend you apply for financial aid as soon as possible after January 1 (for the fall academic term).
Please keep the following key points in mind:
- It is beneficial to have your tax returns for the prior calendar year completed before filling out the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year. It is possible to use estimated tax information, but it may delay the processing of your application.
- You may be asked to submit a copy of your federal tax return transcript to the Financial Aid Office to verify the information on your application. Keep a copy of your tax returns for your records.
Remember: You must apply for financial aid annually.
Applying for Financial Aid
Complete the FAFSA online each year.
- Be sure to enter Century College's Federal School Code (FAFSA code) 010546. This ensures that your Student Aid Report (SAR) will be electronically transmitted to Century College for eligibility determination.
- You are required to use an FSA ID, it is a username and password that you must use to identify yourself as someone who has the right to access their own personal information. If you are a parent of a dependent student (see the application to determine your dependency status), you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child's FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use the same FSA ID to sign all applications. Please note: Each FSA ID user must have a unique e-mail address. Another option to signing the FAFSA is to sign on paper, print the signature page, sign and mail it immediately to the address listed.
- You may complete the FAFSA application even if you haven’t yet applied for admission to Century College. However, you will not receive the Award Notice until you apply and are accepted for admission to the College. Call 651.773.1700 for questions on admission applications.
What to Expect After Applying
Listing Century’s school code on your FAFSA ensures that we will receive your information. Please check your college email account at least weekly as this is how the Financial Aid Office will communicate with you on the status of your financial aid application/FAFSA. Additional information and documents may be required from you to verify your FAFSA information. Once all required information has been reviewed, we will email you a notice that your Financial Aid Award Letter is ready to view online. The Award Letter shows your eligibility for grants and/or student loans. (See Types of Financial Aid for an explanation of grant and loan types.)
You can check your application status by logging into eServices and entering your StarID and password, or by contacting the Financial Aid Office.
Minnesota State Grant Deadline
The Minnesota State Grant has a filing deadline. Your FAFSA must be received by the Federal Application Processing Center within 30 days of the start of the academic term.
Applications for the State Grant are made by submitting the FAFSA. Our office may request additional information to determine your State Grant eligibility once we receive your FAFSA.
- Century College Financial Aid Office