Special Circumstances

Skipped BreadcrumbHome > Current Students > Financial Aid > Special Circumstances

Financial Aid — Special Circumstances

Change of Income

If your family's financial situation changes after you have submitted the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or if you feel that the results from the FAFSA don't fully represent your family's financial situation, contact Century's Financial Aid Office  and let us know your circumstances. You may be eligible to apply for a Professional Judgment-Change of Income.

Death, separation, divorce, unemployment, loss of employment, unusual medical/dental care expenses, or loss of non-taxable income or benefits are all examples of unusual circumstances that may affect your financial aid eligibility. Our staff will help you determine if your circumstances warrant changing the FAFSA results and what documentation may be necessary to make the changes.

Change in Dependency Status

The FAFSA asks a series of questions that determine whether you are a dependent or independent student for the purposes of applying for federal student aid. If you are a dependent student, you must report parent information, as well as your own information, on your FAFSA. A legal parent is your biological or adoptive parent, or your parent as determined by the state (for example, if the parent is listed on your birth certificate).

However, in some circumstances, students may be unable to provide parental information on the application. In these cases, students must still complete the FAFSA, but submit it without parent information. Then the student must contact the Financial Aid Office to complete the appropriate steps for requesting a review of their dependency status. Our office will help determine whether a student’s dependency status can be changed to be considered independent.