Service learning is a type of experiential learning that engages students in
service within the community as an integrated aspect of a course.
- Over 13,000 Century students have participated in service learning since it began at Century College in 2000.
- Century College students have contributed over 200,000 hours of service to the community.
- Approximately 2,000 Century students participate in service learning each year.
- Service Learning is incorporated into over 40% of the programs at Century.
Benefits of Participation
Century College’s Service Learning Department promotes mutually advantageous
relationships between community partners, faculty members, and students.
It facilitates the collaboration of these three groups by researching
appropriate service learning sites, placing service learning students,
and providing a clearinghouse for support, information, and problem solving.
At Century, service learning:
- is integrated into specific courses at the discretion of faculty members or academic departments.
- occurs on a semester basis.
- is monitored by the Service Learning Department.
- is recognized on student transcripts.
- is recognized at graduation.
Judy Lykins, Director of Service Learning, 651.779.5763
Kara Nakagaki, Service Learning Coordinator, 651.779.3977