International Students - Frequently Asked Questions

Skipped BreadcrumbHome > Future Students > Admissions > International Student - Frequently Asked Questions

Admissions process

How do I apply to Century College?
Check out the admissions information here.
Are photocopies of documents acceptable?
International students applying from their home countries must provide original transcripts to the Century College International Admissions Representative.
What can I study at Century College?
Century College offers more than 60 programs. Only Associate Degree programs are open to international students.
Where can I get information on the TOEFL test? What is the minimum TOEFL score?
P.O. Box 6151
Princeton, NJ 08541-6151 USA
+1 (609) 771-7100

The TOEFL code for Century College is 6388. Century College requires that students obtain a minimum of 500 on the written TOEFL test, 173 on the computer-based test or 61 on the Internet-based test.

If you are in the Twin Cities and plan on applying to Century College as an international student, you may take the Century College ESL assessment test in place of the TOEFL. The minimum score for acceptance to Century College is ESL 031.

How long does it take to receive an I-20 once my application is complete?

If you are admitted to Century, we'll send an acceptance letter and other important documents, usually within one week of acceptance.

Please note: We can only send acceptance letters via regular US post.

If you have trouble receiving mail in your home country, you should apply EARLY to ensure sufficient time to receive correspondence from Century College.

What are the most common reasons why international students are denied an I-20 from Century College?
  • Students begin the application process too late. Deadlines are NOT flexible, so make sure your application materials are delivered on time.
  • English proficiency scores are too low for the student to be admitted.
  • Students submit photocopies instead of originals for transcripts and bank documents.
  • Applicants submit old or questionable financial documents.
  • Their change of status application was denied.
Do I have to be a full-time student?

If you are admitted as a full-time (F1) student, you are required to take and complete a minimum of 12 semester credits each term you are enrolled at Century College.

Students with F-1 visas who take less than a full course load may become out of status and risk penalties by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), up to and including deportation.

Students on L, H, J, visas, etc. have different requirements for enrollment. Please see the International Student Admissions Representative with questions.

Do I have to take the assessment tests?
Yes. All new students are required to take assessment tests. The assessments are used to place students in the appropriate courses in math, reading and English. These tests are not used to determine eligibility for admission; however, they may affect a student's ability to take certain courses without proper preparation.
Check the current Assessment testing schedule for more information.
Can I come to Century College to study ESOL only?
No. While Century College does offer a wide variety of ESOL classes, international students with F-1 visas must be admitted to a degree program. Many students take a mix of ESOL and other courses.
Can I bring my spouse or children with me to the United States?
Yes. You will need to show additional financial resources for any dependents you plan to bring with you to the U.S. (You must show an additional $3,500 for a spouse and $2,500 for each child.) When you are issued an I-20, your dependents are also issued I-20s for use in applying for F-2 visas. While in the U.S., if your spouse is on an F-2 visa, he or she will not be allowed to study at college or university study nor are they eligible to work.
Do I have to attend student orientation?
Yes. New students are required to attend new student orientation. In addition, you are required to attend an international student orientation. You must attend BOTH orientation sessions before you can register for classes.
How much does it cost to attend Century College?
International students are charged in-state resident tuition rates. For the 2014-2015 academic year tuition is $179.11 per credit hour. International students with F-1 visas are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester. In addition to tuition, you should factor in approximately $400 per semester in books, plus living and personal expenses.
Is financial aid available?
No. Financial aid is not offered to international students. Internationals students must have sufficient funds to cover all expenses incurred while at Century College: tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, living expenses, travel and all costs related to visa issuance and maintenance. In addition, F1 international students are assessed a mandatory health insurance fee. You will not be admitted to Century College if you cannot provide sufficient proof of financial support.
I have a disability. Can I attend Century College?
Century College's Access Center provides services to students with disabilities, ranging from providing note takers to sign language interpreters, and quiet testing rooms to extended test times. Services are provided free of charge to students, but documentation of the disability is required.
Call (651) 779-3354 for more information.
Century College considers all applicants without regard to race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.
Is on-campus housing available?
Century College does not provide housing to students. However, apartment buildings are located within walking distance of the college. In addition, many private parties advertise rooms for rent on bulletin boards around campus.
Is an international student advisor available to help me after I arrive in Minnesota?
Yes. Century College has two international student advisors. New international students are assigned an advisor based on the first letter of their last name. These advisors conduct the international studentorientation sessions, and can provide assistance with immigration matters, referrals to other student services and general assistance.
What other kinds of services are available to students?
Century offers many academic resources and services, ranging from free tutoring to career counseling to academic advising.
Are there student clubs and groups on campus?
Century has more than 30 registered student groups on campus, including student government, honor society, intramural sports, a creative arts alliance and law enforcement clubs. Check out Student Life for more information.