Accuplacer and Accuplacer ESL
Accuplacer is a standardized assessment test that determines your knowledge in Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, and Mathematics. The test results are used to place you into appropriate courses and improve your success at Century College.
Non-native English speakers
Students who are non-native English speakers will begin with the Accuplacer ESL test. The results will help determine if the student needs English language courses in order to be successful in college. It includes sections on Reading Skills, Language Usage, Sentence Meaning, and Listening. Students will also complete a writing sample and verbal interview with an Academic Advisor. If the student tests out of the English language coursework, then they will move on to the Accuplacer test.
Prepare for the Accuplacer Test
It is important that you take this test seriously and do your very best because preparing for your test could save you both time and money. Test results determine whether you will begin with college level courses or developmental courses. It may be helpful to review basic concepts you have had in reading, sentence structure and math before taking the Accuplacer, especially if you have been out of school for a year or more. The following sites can be used to help you prepare:
Taking the Accuplacer/Accuplacer ESL Test
New Incoming Students
New students looking to take the Accuplacer/Accuplacer ESL test must:
- Apply and pay the $20 application fee.
- Wait to receive an email with a link to register for an appointment to take the Accuplacer/Accuplacer ESL test.
- Come anytime within the hours listed on your registered day and bring a valid photo ID.
Current and returning students, high school students applying for PSEO or Supplemental Enrollment Program, students applying for the CDL Truck Driving Program, or students testing for another MnSCU school:
- To register for an Accuplacer/Accuplacer ESL testing appointment, please email the testing center and provide your name, email address, phone number, date of birth, and what day you would like to take the test.
Walk-in testing is permitted on a space available basis; however, appointments are highly recommended. Students must bring a valid photo ID to test.
July 16, 2014 - August 29, 2014 (Summer Hours)
Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 9am - 4:30pm
Tuesdays: 9am - 6pm
Fridays: 8 - 10am (Fridays August 15, 22, 29: 9 am – 12 pm)
Room 2470 West Campus, 651.779.3352
- There is no fee to take the initial assessment test, however there is a $10.00 retest fee.
- This is an untimed test; allow 2-3 hours to take the test.
- Calculators are not allowed; however there is a pop-up calculator within Accuplacer that is available on certain math problems for students to use.
- Children are not allowed in the testing center and must not be left unattended.
- Accuplacer scores in Reading are valid indefinitely. Accuplacer scores in Sentence Skills (English) and ESL are valid for six (6) semesters and Accuplacer scores in Mathematics
are valid for four (4) semesters following the test date (excluding summer session).
- Students who have taken the Accuplacer at another MnSCU institution and have applied to Century College must have their scores verified by the Century College Testing Center staff. (please see contact information at the bottom of the page)
- Students who did not take the Accuplacer at another MnSCU institution or did not verify their assessment scores, must
have an official copy of their scores mailed or faxed 651.779.5811 to the Century College Testing Center from the institution where they took the assessment test.
- We accept ACT test scores 21 or above on Reading, 18 or above on English and 22 or above on Mathematics.
- ACT Reading and English test scores are valid for six (6) semesters and ACT mathematics test score is valid for four (4) semesters following the test date (excluding summer session).
Upon completion of assessment testing, students will meet with an Assessment Advisor to review their scores and learn about resulting placement levels in Reading, English, and Mathematics. Additionally, Assessment Advisors will provide students with direction on completing specific entrance steps and help students brainstorm initial ideas for first semester courses. By the end of the meeting, the student and advisor will have created a checklist and contact sheet which will help the student move forward in enrolling at Century.
The Assessment Advising Office is located in W2410 and advising is on a walk-in basis. Students must bring their assessment scores and student ID number to Assessment Advising. As advising includes conversations about a student’s personal and academic information, advisors ask to meet with students on an individual basis in order to comply with federal privacy laws.
You may re-test only once (per test section) within twelve (12) months of the first testing date regardless of where the test was administered.
There is a $10.00 fee to retest. Please check with the testing center staff to see if you are required to pay the retest fee.
College Language Proficiency Testing (Accuplacer ESL)
- Students taking the Accuplacer ESL test are required to meet with an Academic Advisor after testing, and will also complete a writing sample and verbal interview. For further information, call the Academic ESOL Advisor at 651.747.4087 or the ESOL department at 651.747.4039.
- International students should apply to the college one month before they take the Accuplacer ESL test.
- Accuplacer ESL Study Guide
Assessment Testing for Transfer Students
- All transfer students must meet Century's assessment testing requirements prior to registering for courses at Century College. Students transferring college-level courses in English, Math and Reading or who have earned an Associate of Arts or Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited, United States college or university may not need to complete some parts of the assessment.
- To determine if you have completed transfer coursework that would waive you from completing all or part of the assessment tests, you must provide your transcript(s) from the college or university you previously attended and contact Transfer Student Services or 651.779.3908. IMPORTANT: If you are applying to a special program, i.e.: Nursing, Rad Tech, the assessment requirements are different, refer to the special program application packet from the Admissions Office for more information.
Accuplacer Distance Testing
Century College students who are out of the state or out of the country are able to test at a location near them. The Accuplacer test requires that it be administered in a controlled, proctored setting. The following meet that requirement:
- Colleges/college testing centers
- High school counseling centers
- Military education centers
The Accuplacer may not be administered by:
- Family members, friends or neighbors
Once you have found an institution willing to proctor the Accuplacer test for you, please complete and return the STUDENT FORM and have the proctor complete and return the PROCTOR FORM.
Students who need accommodations due to a disability should contact the Access Center at:
- Ed Sapinski, Director 651.779.3354 (voice)
- Christine Simonson, Disability Services Advisor 651.779.3477 (voice)
PLEASE NOTE: To receive accommodations, you must provide the Access Center
with appropriate documentation about your disability.
Contact the Testing Center
Consent for release of assessment scores to another college