Programs & Degrees

Skipped BreadcrumbHome > Future Students > Programs & Degrees > Associate in Arts Degree

Associate in Arts Degree

Loading the player ...

Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening and online courses
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Full- or Part-Time

Associate in Arts Degree — AA Degree (60 credits)
Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum — MnTC Notation (40 credits)

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) have a common general education curriculum called the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum (MnTC).

The MnTC is an agreement signed by all Minnesota two- and four-year public colleges and universities to support the transfer of coursework and credits in general education. When you complete the MnTC and then transfer to any other MnSCU school, you will have fulfilled all lower-division general education requirements. It also transfers to the University of Minnesota plus many private and out-of-state schools. Within the 40 credits required, there are ten goals. The AFA, AS and the AAS degrees and the diplomas and certificates at Century College also use MnTC courses to fulfill their general education requirements.

Associate in Arts Degree

The Associate in Arts degree (AA) is intended primarily for students who plan to transfer to another college to complete a bachelor's degree. It can generally be considered the first two years of a four-year degree program. The AA degree is a general liberal arts degree and no specific major is listed in conjunction with the degree. Many students choose to concentrate in a particular field of study or pre-major as preparation for a planned major at a four-year college or university. At least 40 of the 60 credits must be taken within the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). In addition to the 40 credit MnTC, the AA requires you to complete 18 additional credits, which may be MnTC goal fulfilling courses, pre-major requirements, second language requirements or electives and 2 credits in Health/Physical Education.

Start ANY degree at Century! An Associate in Arts degree allows you to complete both general education requirements and pre-major requirements for wide range of majors and programs at four-year colleges and universities. You should consult with a Century counselor or advisor so that you can be sure courses taken at Century fulfill the requirements of a particular field of study, and contact the transfer institution. Listed below are examples of the bachelor's degree or pre-professional programs you may begin at Century:

Actuarial Science
American Studies
Art Education
Art History
Art Therapy
Child Psychology
Communication Studies**
Computer Science
Criminal Justice
Earth Science
Environmental Science
Global Studies**
Human Ecology
Human Services
Information Technology
Industrial Relations
Library Science
Medical Technology*
Music Education
Music Therapy
Occupational Therapy*
Physical Education
Physical Therapy*
Political Science
Project Management
Social Work
Sports Management
Veterinary Medicine*
Women and Gender Studies**

* Pre-professional programs

** Century College Certificate available; see program listing.

Transferring to Another College

Minnesota's public colleges and universities are working to make transfer easier for you. You can help if you plan ahead, ask questions, and use the established pathways created by transfer agreements. Century counselors and advisors will assist you in planning the sequence of courses necessary to fulfill transfer program requirements. You can find copies of transfer guides for many of these programs in the Counseling, Career, and Advising Center, West Campus and on the Century website. In addition, many colleges and universities send representatives to Century to answer your questions.

If you are thinking about transferring, please follow these steps:

1. Discuss your plans with a Century counselor or advisor.

2. Call or visit your intended transfer college and the website. Review the following materials and information:

  • college catalog
  • transfer webpages
  • information on admissions criteria and on materials required for admission (e.g., portfolio, transcripts, test scores, etc.). Please remember that some majors have limited enrollments or their own special requirements such as a higher grade point average.
  • information on financial aid (how to apply and the dead-line date).

3. After you have reviewed these materials, make an appointment to talk with an advisor/counselor in the college or program you want to enter. When you meet, be sure to ask about course transfer and admission criteria.

4. Refer to Transfer Out on Century's website, the Transfer Guide located at the back of Century's catalog, Transfer Action Plan on the Minnesota Transfer website and Transferology.

5. In addition, each fall, Century Counseling, Career, and Advising Center hosts "Transfer Information Days" for students which can help you in your planning process. See the Century website or Student Newsletter for dates and more information.

6. Plan Ahead - Any student who anticipates transferring to a four-year school should plan an appropriate program (both general education and major requirements) with a Century counselor or advisor and their transfer college/university prior to, and during, enrollment at Century College.

Transfer Articulation Agreements

Articulation agreements facilitate your credit transfer and provide you with a smooth transition from one related degree program to another. Century College has formed articulation agreements with a number of public and private institutions of higher learning in Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin to help you with your transfer goals, go to to search by program or institution. Please see a counselor or advisor if you would like to discuss specific agreement benefits and requirements or if you need in further help or information.

AA and MnTC Transfer Agreements

Century College has articulation agreements for the AA degree and/or MnTC to transfer to many four-year institutions.

The agreement with all the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) provides that Century College's Associate in Arts Degree or MnTC will satisfy all of the lower-division general education requirements of any of the state universities.

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum is divided into ten areas of emphasis, known as goals. You may transfer the MnTC in each of the following ways to another MnSCU college or university:

1. As an entire package: If you complete the transfer curriculum at one institution, it will be accepted as completion of the transfer curriculum at Century College.

2. As a goal area: completion of a goal area of the MnTC at one institution will be accepted as a goal completion at Century College.

3. As courses within goal areas: If you complete a course which is included as part of a goal area at the sending institution, it will be accepted for full credit within the same goal area at Century College. When a course you have taken meets requirements for two different goal areas at a sending institution, the course will be accepted in transfer at Century College for the same two goal areas.

An agreement with the University of Minnesota provides that an Associate in Arts Degree or MnTC will satisfy the Liberal Education requirements.

PLEASE NOTE: These agreements do not guarantee the transfer of every course or eliminate the need to plan for pre-major requirements. If you would like more information, please check the Minnesota Transfer website.

Transfer Planning Resources:

Century College's transfer webpage

Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) indicates courses completed at Century College, along with transfer courses and those courses which fulfill specific degree/program requirements. offers information on transfers and transfer planning within Minnesota, links to other states' transfer sites, and direct links to most other regionally-accredited Minnesota schools.

Transfer specialists for Minnesota schools and selected Wisconsin schools may be found under "Transfer Resources."

Transferology a free multi-state online tool for students and advisors, to determine course equivalencies, program requirements, and applicability of coursework when transferring.

Questions? Make an appointment with a counselor or advisor for planning assistance.

Available at:
Advising, Counseling & Career Center
West Campus Room 2410
Phone: 651.779.3285