Delivery: Fall daytime and online classes; Spring daytime, evening, and online classes
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time
Prerequisite and General Education/MnTC courses are available daytime, evening, and online; Fall, Spring, and Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
Medical Assistant — Diploma (48 credits)
Admission into this program requires a special application and is highly competitive. The college may not be able to accept all applicants that meet the minimum admission standards.
Century College's Medical Assistant Program prepares you to become a multi-skilled professional who assists in patient care management. The program will help you to develop the critical skills needed to perform clinical, laboratory and administrative duties in clinics, hospitals, urgent care facilities and other health care agencies. You will also participate in a 300 hour, unpaid clinical externship under the direct supervision of a physician. Upon graduation, you are eligible to take the certification exam of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
The Century College Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
Current accreditation is awarded from 2009 – 2019.
January 31 for Fall semester day section start and August 31 for Spring semester day & evening sections start. Please refer to the application booklet available in Admissions, Counseling Center, and online for more information.
- An official high school transcript verifying graduation or an official GED certificate.
- Assessment score placement in MATH 0030 or above or completion of MATH 0010 with a grade of C or higher.
- Assessment score placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0090 with a grade of C or higher.
- The following Century College courses or transfer equivalents must be completed by the application deadline:
- BIOL 1024 Human Biology
- HLTH 1001 Medical Terminology with a grade of C or higher.
- CAPL 1010 Introduction to Software Applications OR CSCI 1020 Introduction to Personal Computers and Information Systems with a grade of C or higher.
- The following additional courses or transfer equivalents should be completed as soon as possible for the DAY session program application and must be completed prior to application for the EVENING session, (and must be completed prior to MEDA 1780 Clinical Externship):
- COMM 1031 Interpersonal Communication OR COMM 1051 Intercultural Communication
- ENGL 1021 English Composition
- PSYC 1020 General Psychology OR PSYC 1041 Developmental Psychology
- Developmental coursework indicated by assessment results must be completed prior to application to the Medical Assistant program.
- Any Request for Exemption to Admission Requirements/Appeal Selection Decision petitions must be approved by the department chair prior to the application deadline. Students should contact the Counseling Center (651.779.3285) for advising.
- Please refer to the application booklet available in Admissions, Counseling Center and online for more information.
Certified Medical Assistant (after successfully completing the AAMA certification test)
Registered Medical Assistant (after successfully completing the AMT certification test)
(seven county metro area - www.iseek.org)
Average Wage: $16.63/hour
Top Earners: $20.62/hour
- A grade of C or higher must be obtained in all career/occupational courses to earn a diploma in Medical Assisting at Century College.
- MN Human Services background study with no restrictions prior to MEDA 1001. Students will complete a MN Human Services background study application during the MEDA orientation. The Minnesota Department of Health requires any individual having contact with patients to complete a background study prior to starting the clinical experience. An individual may be disqualified from having patient contact and would not be permitted to participate in the clinical experience if a clearance is not issued. Call the MN Department of Human Services with specific questions, 651.431.2000.
- CPR certification at the Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer level (EMS 1010 or equivalent) is required by the end of their first semester in the program.
- Refer to the Medical Assistant “Information and Application” packets online for information regarding the immunizations required prior to MEDA 1002.
- Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.