Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening, Saturday, and online courses
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Full- or Part-Time
Music – Associate in Fine Arts Degree (68 Credits)
Liberal Arts and Sciences – Associate in Arts Degree (60 Credits)
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum – MnTC
The Century College Music Department offers students the opportunity to study music in a deep and comprehensive way, either as part of an Associate in Arts degree or Associate in Fine Arts in Music degree.We offer music courses for students:
- interested in an introduction to music (Popular Music, World Music, Enjoyment of Classical Music, Beginning Group Piano, and Fundamentals of Music).
- who want to participate in a performing ensemble (Choir, Concert Band and Orchestra).
- who want to learn to play, or continue studying, an instrument (piano, voice, guitar, strings, winds, percussion).
The Associate in Fine Arts in Music degree comprises the first two years of a Bachelor’s degree in music, and is designed primarily for easy transfer to a four-year college or university.The AFA in Music degree:
- includes all of the courses, applied lessons and ensemble experiences needed for the first two years of a music major or music minor (Music Theory, Ear Training, Music History, applied lessons, and ensemble participation in Choir, Concert Band, or Orchestra).
- gives you a solid foundation in music.
For more information about the AFA in Music, click here.
To prepare, inspire and empower students to achieve excellence in the field of music through a comprehensive music curriculum. The program focuses on helping students achieve advanced musicianship via concentrated study of a primary instrument, ensemble and performance experience, a complete music theory, ear training and sight singing curriculum, a comprehensive music history curriculum, along with general education requirements.
The Century College Music Department ensembles put on many concerts each year. The concert band, choir, orchestra, and jazz ensemble all have traditions going back to the early 1970s. The Jazz Ensemble gives its Jazz Fest in late January each year, and features nationally known soloists. The Century Chamber Orchestra is one of the few performing orchestras in existence at a 2 year school nationwide. The jazz combo plays informal concerts on campus and in the community each year.
Outstanding music students at Century College are recognized each April for their fine work. Many Century College music students continue on to area four-year music schools, and complete four-year degrees in music.