On This Page
2013-14 Muskie Tank Challenge Winner
The Muskie Tank Challenge
History & Overview
The Muskie Tank Challenge, now in its second year, is a program inspired by the ABC TV show, "The Shark Tank"™.
The goal of the Challenge is to foster innovation and entrepreneurship among Century students, and to encourage creative students to start their own successful businesses.
This is a great opportunity for Century students to get support and advice from local entrepreneurs, business leaders and Century faculty.
Grand Prize: Full-Year Scholarship Award
Thanks to the generosity of our local business professionals, our awards include:
- One full tuition Scholarship to Century, including tuition, books, and fees, not to exceed the value of $5,000 (or, if
student chooses to attend a four-year university/college, the value of the award will not exceed $5000 in tuition, fees and books.)
- Four $1000 scholarship awards (Value of award will go towards tuition, books, and fees, not to exceed the value of $1,000.)
- Top finalists – $100 gift card.
When you commit to the challenge, we'll help you meet business experts and mentors who will help you along the way!
- Create your own new business concept using your innovative idea. Make sure to do your research and ensure that your idea hasn't been done before.
- Your new business concept will be submitted (later) as a business proposal to be reviewed by a team of Muskie Tank judges.
- Your proposal will be analyzed and critiqued by the same team.
- The team will determine if your business concept is one of the best 5 ideas of the competition based on its potential to be a big success story.
2014-15 Muskie Tank Timeline
Be sure to attend the following events to gather information and get trained to be successful in this competition. Also, make sure you meet with a mentor or a faculty member, who will guide you through the process.
- November 18 – "Jumpstarting Your Muskie Tank Challenge Application" – 11-11:50 am, W2010
- January 22 – Training Session with Q & A, Coaching and Mentoring – TBD
- February 11 – Student Success Day, Competition Training, Best Practices, Patent-Related Issues with
Attorney Dan Rosenberg
- March 8 – Student Proposals Due
- March 12 – Selection of Top 20 Proposals
- April 21 – Twenty Finalists Present Proposals to Judges; Top 5 Ideas Awarded
- April 23 – Final Awards & Ceremony – TBD
- Log into D2L and self-register to the Muskie Tank Challenge, and complete the
Muskie Tank application.
- Attend one of the training sessions listed in the Muskie Tank Timeline.
- Connect with a mentor. (For more info, see Muskie Tank D2L website or the schedule posted in E1705.)
- On the Muskie Tank D2L website, click "Drop Box" at the top of the page, and post video, images, documents for your project by March 8, 2015.
- If you need help, review this helpful D2L guide
For more information, contact Sue Klecker@Century.edu, 651.773.1792. Mentoring help is available upon request.