Muskie Tank Challenge Overview
The Muskie Tank Challenge is a program inspired by the ABC TV show The Shark Tank™. The goal of the Muskie Tank Challenge is to foster innovation and entrepreneurship among Century College students, and to encourage creative students to start their own successful businesses.
This is a great opportunity for Century College students to get support and advice from local entrepreneurs, business leaders and Century College faculty.
Grand Prize: Full-Year Scholarship Award
Thanks to our sponsors: 3M, Carlson School of Management (UMN), Century College Bookstore, Redpath and Company, Selfeco, and Wilson Tool.
Thanks to the generosity of our local business professionals our awards include:
- One full-year tuition scholarship to Century College including tuition, books and fees, not to exceed the value of $5,000 (or, if student chooses to attend a four-year college/university, the value of the award will not exceed $5,000 in tuition, fees and books) This winner is automatically guaranteed a position as a semifinalist in the MN Cup competition where you have the opportunity to win up to $80,000 cash.
- Four $1,000 scholarship awards (value of award will go towards tuition, books and fees, not to exceed the value of $1,000)
- All top finalists will receive $100 Century College Bookstore gift card along with other gifts
When you commit to the challenge, we'll help you meet business experts and mentors who will help you along the way.
- Research the internet to determine if your idea already exists. If it does, consider a different idea or a much improved version of the idea. If you are confident of your idea, move to the next step.
- Log into D2L Brightspace, self-register to the Muskie Tank Challenge and complete the Muskie Tank Self Registration Application with as much detail as possible.
- If you are chosen as a semi-finalist, you will be notified and assigned a mentor.
- Work with a mentor to create your final Executive Summary & presentation. Statistics have proven students who work with a mentor, have had the best results.
- Upload your final Executive Summary and any supporting diagrams, pictures, graphs, or anything else you would like the judges to view at D2L Brightspace Muskie Tank Dropbox by project deadline.
Utilize the Muskie Tank Tackle Box a handbook for entering the Muskie Tank Challenge, to guide you through the process.
2017-18 Muskie Tank Timeline
|19-Sep||Student Success Day - Muskie Tank Student Kick-off Sessions|
|9-Oct||MN Cup Finalist Competition|
|10-Oct||Muskie Tank Info Session|
|14-Nov||Muskie Tank Info Session|
|24-Jan||Muskie Tank Info Session|
|6-Feb||Student Success Day - Best Practices|
|TBD||Muskie Tank Info Session|
|28-Feb||Student proposals due on D2L by 11:59 pm|
|1-Mar||First round judges begin reviewing applications|
|8-Mar||Students notified of first round results, semifinalists announced and mentors assigned|
|20-Mar||Student notification letters emailed to semifinalists with presentation appointment time|
|15-Apr||Submit final executive summary along with any supporting documentation|
|17-Apr||Final judging - semifinalists present proposals to judges; top 5 ideas selected & notified by phone|
|19-Apr||Awards ceremony - Futures in Bloom|
|May||MN Cup deadline to enter competition - opportunity to win up to $80,000|