Credit for Prior Learning

You may be able to earn college credit for what you have learned from work and life experiences. This is called Credit for Prior Learning. Earning credit for prior learning may allow you to reduce your course load and complete your program in less time, with less expense!

  • Advisor talking with a student while she points at a piece of paper.

    Your learning may come from any of the following, and much more:

    • High School Articulated College Credit
    • Independent Study
    • Military Service
    • Professional Workshops/Trainings
    • Volunteer Activities
    • Work Experience

    Credit for Prior Learning is available to students who have been admitted to Century College and plan to complete a degree, diploma or certificate at the college.

Ways to Earn Credit for Prior Learning

Learning obtained through sources other than college-level coursework is evaluated through Prior Learning Assessments. Below is a list of Prior Learning Assessments recognized at Century College.

Bilingual and Multilingual Seals & World Language Proficiency Certificates

High school students who earned Minnesota bilingual and multilingual seals and world language proficiency certificates will be awarded college credit. Students must submit their seal and/or certificate with three (3) academic years of graduation from high school and upon enrollment at Century College. Documents must be sent to the Transfer Student Services Office. Students who need a copy of their seal or certificate should contact their high school for assistance.

High School Articulated College Credit

Career and Technical Education Credit (CTE) taken in high school through the Northeast Metro Consortium or through Northeast Metro Career and Technical Center substitutes for a specific Century College course(s) identified through articulation agreements. Only those high school courses identified in the articulation agreements will be accepted as transfer to Century College and must be documented on an Articulated College Credit Certificate. Certificates can be printed from your student account at Successful completion of designated courses, where a grade of B or higher is earned, transfer and may satisfy requirements or elective credits in some programs at Century College.

More information can be found on the Career and Technical Education Credit webpage.

Century College Credit by Exam (CBE)

Century College Credit by Exam is a process where students may demonstrate they meet course requirements by successfully passing an examination. Exams are provided at the discretion of Century College faculty and may not be available for all courses.

Students are responsible for arranging credit by exam by following the required procedures for completing credit by exam and obtaining signed authorization from the course instructor and a Credit for Prior Learning Specialist.

Listed below are some Century courses for which you may complete credit by exam. 

Computer Application Technology

CAPL 1000, 1023, 1025

Emergency Medical Services

EMS 1010, 1015, 1017, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2011, 1012, 2014; EMSB 1020, 1022

Engineering CAD Technology

ECAD 1020, 2075

Enterprise Computing Technology

ECT 1013

Facilities Maintenance Engineer

FACM 1000


FRTA 1091, 1092, 1095

HLTH 1001

Health Sciences
HSCI 2020

Human Services
HSER 2060

Information & Telecommunications Technology

ITT 2780

Interior Design

INTD 1040, 2030

Law Enforcement
CJS 1024/ENGL1024

Office Technology Medical
All Courses

Office Technology
OFFT 1001

Public Safety
PSAF 1020, 1031, 1032, 2045

Visual Communications Technologies
Various courses/arrange with VCT Instructor

For other possible exams, please contact the instructors of the course(s) for which you believe you can demonstrate equivalent college-level knowledge and skills.

Licenses and Certifications

A number of professional licenses and certifications may be evaluated for college credit. Students must submit a copy of their valid certificate/license to the Credit for Prior Learning Specialist for review. Some examples of certifications that are commonly accepted are:

  • A+ Certified Technician
  • Certified Administrative Professional (CAP)
  • Certified Professional Secretary (CPS)
  • Cisco
  • Community Interpreter Certificate of Completion
  • Emergency Medical Responder/Technician
  • LPI-Linux Essentials Certificate
  • MN Cosmetologist Operator License/Salon Manager License
  • MN Fire Service Certifications
  • MN Nursing Assistant
  • Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)

Military Credit

College level credit earned through military training and education will be considered for transfer. Service members should use the JST Service Transcript System to access their military records and submit their official military transcript directly to Century's Transfer Student Services Office. Students who have credit from the Community College of the Air Force will need to request a separate transcript from the CCAF website. More information about military credit transfer for veterans and service members is available through Transferology and the Veterans Education Transfer System (VETS).

Standardized Exams

Advanced Placement (AP)

Advanced Placement is administered by the College Board through which high school students complete designated college level courses in high schools and earn college credit by demonstrating a specified level of performance on AP exams. Students must have their official AP score report sent directly from the College Board to Century's Transfer Student Services Office. An AP exam score of 3 or higher will be considered for transfer. A complete list of AP exams and how they transfer to Century is available through Transferology.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The College Level Examination Program is administered by the College Board through which students of any age have the opportunity to demonstrate college level achievement through exams in undergraduate college courses. Students must have their official CLEP score report sent directly to Century's Transfer Student Services Office. A CLEP exam score of 50 or higher will be considered for transfer. A complete list of CLEP exams and how they transfer to Century is available through Transferology.

DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST)

The DANTES program sponsors a wide range of examination programs to assist military service members in meeting their educational goals. One such program is the DANTES Subject Standardized Test. Students must have their official DSST score report sent directly to Century's Transfer Student Services Office. A complete list of DSST exams and how they transfer to Century is available through Transferology.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is a course of study for students age 16 to 19 that leads to examinations in various subjects. Students who participate in the full Diploma Programme are required to study and take examinations in six different academic subjects. An IB exam score of 4 or higher will be considered for transfer. A complete list of IB exams and how they transfer to Century is available through Transferology.

Ready to Get Started?

Fill out a Getting Started form and return it to so we can help you determine your next steps.