Service learning is a type of experiential learning that engages students in service within the community as an integrated aspect of a course. Over 15,000 Century College students have participated in service learning since our program began in 2000, and have contributed over 250,000 hours of service to the community. The Service Learning Department places approximately 2000 students with nonprofits, schools, and government agencies each academic year.
Benefits of Participation
Century College’s Service Learning Department promotes mutually advantageous relationships among community partners, faculty members, and students. Our program staff facilitate the collaboration of these three groups by researching appropriate service learning sites, placing service learning students, and providing a clearinghouse for support, information, and problem solving.
- is integrated into specific courses at the discretion of faculty members or academic departments.
- occurs on a semester basis.
- is monitored by the Service Learning Department.
- is recognized on student transcripts.
- is recognized at graduation for those who complete 41 or more hours while at Century College.