Service learning is a type of experiential learning that engages students in service within the community as an integrated aspect of a course. Over 15,000 Century College students have participated in service learning since our program began in 2000, and have contributed over 250,000 hours of service to the community. The Service Learning Department places approximately 2000 students with nonprofits, schools, and government agencies each academic year.
Benefits of Participation
Century College’s Service Learning Department promotes mutually advantageous relationships among community partners, faculty members, and students. Our program staff facilitate the collaboration of these three groups by researching appropriate service learning sites, placing service learning students, and providing a clearinghouse for support, information, and problem solving. Service Learning is recognized on student transcripts when completed satisfactorily.
Services for Community Partners
- Explore the possibility of creating a Service Learning opportunity to provide students with volunteer opportunities that provide at least 10 hours of service and are discipline or skill-specific.
- Participate in our Career Opportunities Fair, scheduled for Thursday, February 21 from 11:30 am – 1:30 pm. Space is limited this semester to those who have employment or internship opportunities. Volunteer and service learning opportunities are welcome if you also have employment and/or internship opportunities. Please email Service Learning if you are interested in participating.
- Consider on-campus tabling to connect directly with Century students.
- Advertise select volunteer opportunities to students through electronic and paper-based media including the weekly student newsletter “Wood Duck Weekly.”
- Partner with the Service Learning department to support and connect with students through events and workshops.
- Create an employer account on The College Central Network to post internship and volunteer opportunities.
If you would like to learn more about these opportunities please email Service Learning.