Century College's ACCUPLACER for course placement process is used to determine a student's readiness for specific college courses. The ACCUPLACER Course Placement test measures reading, writing, and mathematics skills and is used to assist students with the selection of appropriate courses to help assure their success upon entering Century. The ACCUPLACER Course Placement test is not timed and immediate results are provided at the end of the test.
The Testing Center administers:
- Classic ACCUPLACER and ACCUPLACER ESL
- Instructional make-up testing (Century College students only and at faculty discretion)
- Test of Essential Academic Skills VI Test (TEAS). Refer to the Nursing Program webpage for more information about the TEAS Exam.
We are located on the West Campus, Room W2470. Review Testing Center policies prior to arriving for your appointment.
In order to provide a comfortable testing environment for all students and staff, please note that the testing center is a fragrance free space. Please refrain from wearing scented personal care products; especially items containing vanilla.
After acceptance to the college, you will need to register for the ACCUPLACER / ACCUPLACER ESL test. Registered students will have priority seating. Walk-ins are welcome during check-in, however, a seat cannot be guaranteed.
Do You Need to Take the ACCUPLACER?
New applicants to Century College must complete the ACCUPLACER for course placement unless they meet one of the exemption criteria listed below.
You might be exempt from taking any or all portions of the ACCUPLACER Course Placement test if:
You have a bachelor's degree or higher or have completed other university/college credit. Contact the Transfer Student Services/DARS Office to determine if you are exempt from completing all or parts of the ACCUPLACER. Official transcripts and/or documentation may be required.
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- College in the Schools (CIS)
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO)
- International Baccalaureate (IB)
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- You have ACT, SAT, or MCA scores that are not expired (minimum placement required)
- You have previous ACCUPLACER scores that are not expired (official score reports required; email them as an attachment to the Testing Center)
- You have COMPANION test scores that are not expired
Students interested in possible waivers from taking any or all portions of ACCUPLACER utilizing current ACT, COMPANION, ACCUPLACER or ACCUPLACER ESL scores must submit their official documentation to the Testing Center for verification.
- At Century College, ACCUPLACER and COMPANION reading placement scores are valid indefinitely and mathematic scores are valid for two calendar years, inclusive of the current calendar year. For more information, see ACCUPLACER course placement criteria.
- ACCUPLACER ESL Course Placement scores are valid if taken within three calendar years, inclusive of the current year. For more information, see ACCUPLACER ESL Course Placement criteria.
- A minimum ACT sub score of 21 or higher, or a minimum SAT ERW score of 480 or higher in the reading component exempts a student from taking the associated placement test in that academic skill area. ACT or SAT reading scores will be used to determine placement for both reading and English. A minimum MCA score of 1047 or higher in the reading component exempts a student from taking the associated placement test in that academic skill area. Note: MCA scores place a student into college-level reading only. If a student does not have any other placement criteria, such as a minimum ACT sub score of 21 or higher, or a minimum SAT ERW score of 480 or higher in the reading component, they will have to take the reading portion of the ACCUPLACER to place into English. For more information, see the ACT, SAT, MCA Course Placement Criteria.
- An minimum ACT sub score of 22 or higher, a minimum SAT score of 530 or higher, or a minimum MCA score of 1158 or higher in the mathematic component exempts a student from taking the associated placement test in that academic skill area. It also authorizes a student’s placement in the introductory college-level courses in that academic subject. A minimum MCA score of 1148 or higher in the mathematic component places the student into MATH 1025, Statistics. A minimum MCA score of 1150 or higher places the student into MATH 1030, Mathematics for the Liberal Arts. For more information, see ACT, SAT, MCA Course Placement Criteria. For more information, see the ACT, SAT, MCA Course Placement Criteria.
Preparing for the ACCUPLACER
Whether taking the ACCUPLACER Course Placement test for the first time or retaking it, students are STRONGLY encouraged to prepare for the test as much as possible. A prepared student can see a significant increase in their test scores and may help avoid having to take extra developmental courses - saving time and money.
A student may re-test once per test section within 12 months of the first testing date regardless of where the test was administered. (This includes placement testing completed at other Minnesota State colleges or universities.) There is no minimal wait period for a student to retest; however, there is a $10 retest fee, paid prior to testing. If a student is retesting, the testing center staff will issue the student a retest referral form to be presented to the Business Office on the day of testing.
Because of this, it is possible for these students to test ACCUPLACER at a remote testing center for Century College:
- First-Time Student
- Transfer Student
- Returning Student
- Non-Degree Seeking/Visiting Student who never attended a Minnesota State system school
If you are a student at another Minnesota State system school, you may be able to test ACCUPLACER at Century College for your school. To test at Century College for another Minnesota State system school, as a non-Century student, you must contact your school to request a voucher. After your voucher has been generated, you must go online to schedule an appointment.
Testing for another Minnesota State system school is by appointment only.
Century College does not test ACCUPLACER for grad standards or for non-Minnesota State system schools.
Transferring Score Reports
Students may have ACCUPLACER scores from other institutions evaluated for course placement by Century College. Please submit a copy of ACCUPLACER results via mail, fax or in person to the testing center.
The Testing Center can forward a copy of your ACCUPLACER scores to another non-Minnesota State institution. Students must complete the Request to Release ACCUPLACER Test Scores form authorizing the request.
Instructional Make-Up Testing
Make-Up Testing is at faculty discretion, are only pen and pencil, and are assigned by Century College instructors for Century College students only. If you wish to take a make-up test in the Testing Center, you must make arrangements with your instructor in advance and have the test sent to the center. Make-up testing is on a walk-in basis only during open office hours.
If you need special accommodations, e.g., a reader, scriber or extra time, please contact the Access Center.
Tests will not be administered outside the dates and times your instructor has indicated on their make-up testing cover sheet, and must be completed by the end of office hours. If you cannot meet the deadline your instructor has imposed for your test, you will need to contact them to discuss options.
You will be required to show valid photo identification before receiving the test. There will be no exceptions.
You are expected to bring any necessary materials such as pencils, calculators, etc.
At various times the center is full to capacity due to ACCUPLACER Course Placement Testing and therefore testing services may be unavailable.
End of Semester Make-Up Testing Dates: Due to space limitations and the need to provide ACCUPLACER Course Placement Testing to new students, or students trying to register for the upcoming semester, make-up testing will not be available during finals week; however, will resume at the beginning of the next semester.
Student Testing Privileges
Students will be given a copy of the testing guidelines prior to receiving a test. Failure to adhere to testing guidelines can result in loss of testing privileges in the Testing Center for the remainder of the semester.
Students please be advised that once the test has been distributed, you will not be allowed to leave the testing area, answer telephones, or have headphones. Violations of any of these rules will be noted on the testing cover sheet and the test will not be considered valid by the testing administrator.
If you are a Century College faculty member who would like the Testing Center to proctor a makeup exam*, please fill out the Make-Up Testing Request Form. *No Make-Up Testing on Fridays, holidays, or when the campus is closed. Always check website for any possible changes.
Forms & Handouts
Testing Center Policies
- All testing requires a government-issued photo ID. The ACCUPLACER Course Placement test will not be administered to anyone who does not have a valid photo ID on the day they intend to test. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Personal calculators cannot be utilized for the test. However, ACCUPLACER does provide the option of a digital calculator for questions that will require the use of one.
- The testing center provides scratch paper and pens.
- All cell phones must be turned off and stored in the backpack, purse, jacket, etc., and stored inside the Testing Center.
- No children are allowed in the Testing Center.
- No children may be left unattended outside during testing.
- Allow approximately 3 hours for taking the test and attending a course placement advising session.
- If you require any special accommodations, please contact the Access Center to arrange taking your ACCUPLACER Course Placement test.