Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
Panels & Training
Throughout the year, the LGBTQ Center hosts and coordinates different panels and trainings for the Century campus community.
Unless otherwise noted, these panels and trainings are free and open to all students, staff, faculty, and administrators at Century College.
Brave Space Training
Renamed from Ally Training, Brave Space Trainings are available to all students, faculty, staff, and administrators at Century College. The purpose of a Brave Space training is to reduce homophobia, cissexism, transphobia, and heterosexism at Century College. This training is a great way to learn more about the LGBTQIA+ community and how to be a better ally.
A Brave Space Training prepares members of the Century College community to serve as a resource on LGBTQIA+ issues, on and off campus. Topics covered can include, but aren’t limited to: privilege 101, LGBT history, ally identity development, trans 101, asexuality and intersex identities, case studies, among so much more.
Through the Brave Space Training, participants will:
- Gain new knowledge about issues facing LGBTQIA+ students.
- Gain new knowledge about resources to support LGBTQIA+ students.
- Experience speaking on LGBTQIA+ issues with the intent of building familiarity with those conversations.
- Gain knowledge in how to best support LGBTQIA+ students.
Brave Space Training is an introduction to LGBTQIA+ ally-ship, all staff and faculty are encouraged to attend this training at minimum.
The LGBTQ Center hosts a multitude of events throughout the semester. Below is a listing of events that happen on a regular basis per semester.
Ideas on a speaker or event to host on campus? Contact Layton Hernandez today: we love to collaborate!
Soup Gender & Sexuality
Soup Gender & Sexuality is an ongoing monthly series dedicated to holding space for LGBTQIA+ visibility. The purpose of the series is to better connect Century College students, faculty, and staff to community resources. Each month a new topic or organization is hosted to create informal, educational dialogue. All attendees are welcome to good food, company, and conversation.
Past and upcoming Soup, Gender, & Sexuality organizations include:
- OutFront Minnesota
- Rainbow Health Initiative
- Ryan Berg & Avenues for Homeless Youth
- C3 Twin Cities
- Smitten Kitten
- And more
Coming Out Week
October 10 marks National Coming Out Day. In honor of Coming Out Day, the LGBTQ Center hosts a week’s worth of events and opportunities to celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community. The LGBTQ Center recognizes that it isn’t safe for all members of the LGBTQIA+ community to be out, therefore, this week is a reminder to all, of the dire need to create continual safety and a welcoming community at Century College.
Past and upcoming events include:
- Kicking off Coming Out Week: Kickball Tournament
- Keynote, Phillipe Cunningham
- Keynote, Andrea Jenkins
- Coming Out Door
- Gender Inclusive Restroom Campaign
- They/Them Project
- Ice Kween Social
- Coming Out Across Minnesota History w/ TPT - Twin Cities PBS
- Among many more
Similar to Coming Out Week, PRIDE Week is an annual Century College celebration of the LGBTQIA+ community in the month of April. PRIDE Week has evolved because of Lavender Graduation Celebration—as a way to honor and recognize our graduating and transferring LGBTQIA+ leaders.
Past & Future PRIDE Week events include:
- LGBTQIA2S+ Resource Fair
- Keynote, Nate Cannon
- PRIDE BBQ
- Day of Silence Campaign & Rally
- Among more…
Lavender Graduation Celebration
Each April, the LGBTQ Center awards and recognizes graduating LGBTQIA+ and ally identified Century College students. Honored students will be awarded with rainbow graduation cords to wear during commencement. Staff & faculty dedicated to the success and visibility of LGBTQIA+ students and issues will also be recognized. Winner/s of the LGBTQ Center Scholarship will be announced at this time.
This event is open to all Century College students and employees.
People Representing Intersectionality, Diversity, & Excellence (P.R.I.D.E.)
P.R.I.D.E., formerly known as the Queer and Straight (Q&S) Club, is a student organization working to:
- Create an inclusive environment for LGBTQIA+ students, staff, faculty, and their allies
- Raise awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues on and off campus while finding and/or developing proactive solutions
- Cultivate student leaders from marginalized backgrounds
- Educate the Century College community through forums, discussions, workshops, speakers, and social events
- Work in collaboration with the LGBTQ Center to ensure the growth and success of all Century College LGBTQIA+ communities
All students, faculty, and staff are welcome at P.R.I.D.E. meetings and events. Meeting times and locations vary per semester. Contact Layton Hernandez (651-779-3452), or follow our Facebook page for more information!