International Student Services

Important Virtual Service Information

As we have moved to virtual service, we are still here to help. You can still reach out to us: or 651-779-3344. 

  • Two international students at an international student dinner

    Welcome International Students!

    The International Student Services Team is glad you are here at Century College. We want you to be successful during your time with us. Below you will find forms and resources to help you navigate many international student processes. If you need more information, please attend one of the many workshops we provide to help you along the way. Current F-1 International Students can visit the ISS D2L page for workshop information and announcements.

Maintain your F-1 Status: Rules and Regulations

While studying in the United States, it is your responsibility to maintain your F-1 status. Maintaining status is REQUIRED. Learn more here.


Health Insurance

International students must purchase the system-approved student health insurance, except those students whose sponsoring agency or government certifies that the student is covered under a plan provided by the sponsoring agency or government. Minnesota State Undergraduate Admissions Policy Part 5, Subpart B, #2. Read the full policy here.

For more information on the health insurance plan including benefits and rates please click here. Be sure to login to My Account for more personalized information after you enroll.

Any questions about your insurance plan and benefits can be directed to the Student Insurance Advocate at or 320-308-4855.


Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of employment authorization for international students. OPT is training designed to give students real world experience. OPT is for 12 months of employment, to be completed up to 14 months after program end date. Students need to meet with an International Student Advisor before applying for OPT.


Reminder: While on OPT you must report your employer information in the SEVP Portal or to a DSO. Failure to report will be recorded as unemployment time. After 90 days of unemployment, your record will be auto-terminated, and you will start accruing unlawful presence in the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. The experience may be paid or unpaid. CPT must be an integral part of an established curriculum. Students must meet with an International Student Advisor to apply for CPT. 


On-Campus Employment

International students are eligible to work on-campus as student workers. However, not all student worker positions at Century College are open to international students. Use this Quick Guide to learn how to search for on-campus jobs. Visit the Student Employment webpage to learn more about Century College Student Employment.


Economic Hardship Employment Authorization

Severe Economic Hardship is new, unexpected circumstances beyond the student’s control creating severe economic hardship. The employment authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of one year at a time. The authorization allows the student to work for any employer up to 20 hours per week while they are registered full-time. Students must meet with an International Student Advisor to apply for Economic Hardship Employment Authorization. 



Some Century College Foundation Scholarships are open to international students. Applications are accepted annually between February 1 and April 1. Visit the Foundation page for a complete listing of scholarships and application details.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators provides information on financial aid for undergraduate international students. Visit their website for more scholarship opportunities. 


If an F-1 student has overstayed the authorized period on the I-20 plus 60 days or otherwise failed to maintain student status they may be reinstated to student status by applying to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) district office. Students should be aware that applications can be denied and usually cannot be appealed.


Tax Information for International Students

Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student. All F-1 students and their dependents, regardless of whether or not they have earned money, are required to file an annual tax form. Tax forms must be postmarked no later than April 15 of each year. 

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the part of the U.S. government responsible for collecting taxes and has resources to help you learn more about filing taxes. For more information about taxes in the United States, visit the Foreign Students and Scholars page on the IRS website. You can also review the handout below for additional information. 


If you have questions about any of these forms or processes, please contact International Student Services at or call 651-779-3344.  Current students can schedule an appointment with International Student Services in Starfish

If you are not yet a student at Century College but you would like to apply as an F-1 student, please visit our Admissions page for more information.

Emily Batres International Student Services Coordinator 651-779-3344 W1221