Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening, Saturday, and online courses.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Full- or Part-Time.
Liberal Arts and Sciences — AA Degree (60 credits)
Minnesota Transfer Curriculum — MnTC
About the Discipline
Century's Mathematics Department offers quality courses to meet your educational needs, including:
- Developmental coursework for college-level mathematics courses.
- Program-specific courses that satisfy the mathematics requirements of degree technical programs offered at Century.
- College-level courses that meet general education requirements and successfully transfer to four-year universities in Minnesota and across the United States.
- College-level courses that meet the lower division mathematics requirements for students majoring in mathematics, natural science, chemistry, biology, engineering, computer science, business, or mathematics education.
The scope of each area is broad, stretching from prehistoric times to the frontiers of cyberspace. In each course, you'll have the opportunity to discuss and analyze representative creative works from both a historical and a cultural context.
Points of Pride
Our Mathematics Resource Center offers free, walk-in assistance with Math coursework as well as a place to study. The center is staffed by professionals with mathematics degrees who are assisted by student tutors from advanced mathematics courses. In addition, our Mathematics Resource Center offers extended evening hours and is also open on Saturdays.
For three consecutive years (2004-06), Century Mathematics students earned first place in the state of Minnesota in the Student Mathematics League Contest of the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC). They also earned first place in the Central Region of the United States.
Century's Mathematics faculty are experts at using technology as well as alternate teaching strategies, such as collaborative, group, and discovery learning, and the use of numerous mathematics-related software programs such as Mathematica, Derive, Maple, and Minitab. Examples of the outstanding achievements of the Mathematics faculty include:
- In 2005, Joyce Gwizdala received Century's Outstanding Faculty Award for her work in the classroom and service to the college.
- Carol Purcell received the Golden Apple Award from Phi Theta Kappa in 2006. (Faculty are nominated by their students.)
- At the 2006 AMATYC national conference, Brian Peterman had the highest score in the Faculty Mathematics Contest.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards a scholarship (fully funded by Mathematics Department members) to an outstanding Century College student who excels in Mathematics.
- Minnesota Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (MinnMATYC)
- American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Minnesota Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM)
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Women and Mathematics Education
- TODOS: Mathematics for All
- The Benjamin Banneker Association