Delivery: Daytime and blended online classes.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time.
Prerequisite and General Education/MnTC courses are available in a mix of daytime, evening, and online classes; Fall, Spring, and Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
About the Program
Admission into this program requires a special application and is highly competitive. The college may not be able to accept all applicants that meet the minimum admission standards.
The demand for certified and licensed dental assistants exists with excellent placement, salary and benefits. As a dental assistant, you will participate in a variety of tasks that include chairside assisting, patient education, polishing teeth, taking radiographs, making study models, and preparing business forms. The Dental Assistant program is designed for career opportunities as a dental assistant in private dental offices, HMO clinics, public health institutions, dental supply and insurance companies, military dental services, and dental school clinics.
- Provide high-quality patient care in an onsite dental clinic serving the diverse needs of the community
- Perform a wide range of dental office operations including x-rays, chairside assisting, instrument transfer, and creating teeth impressions
- Use your dynamic personality to educate adults and children on the importance of oral health
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs qualify for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.
The Dental Assistant program is accredited by the American Dental Association, Commission of Accreditation. Graduates of the Dental Assistant Program are eligible to take the Dental Assisting National Board Certification Exam and the Minnesota State Board of Dentistry Dental Assistant State Licensure Exam. Dental Assistant graduates, upon successful completion of the exams, are Certified and Licensed dental assistants.
Commission on Dental Accreditation
American Dental Association
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
March 15, 2021 for Fall 2021 start and the last day of summer session for Spring start.
Fall 2021 application will be open December 15, 2020 through March 15, 2021. Apply HERE.
Click here to view optional video instructions on how to apply for the program.
For help with your StarID for logging into the Dental Assistant Program application, click here.
Please note, you must have an active Century College admission application on file in the past 365 days or be registered for classes within the past 365 days for your StarID to be active. Click here to submit or resubmit a general admission application, do so by March 14, 2021.
- Submit official high school transcripts or GED certificate. All applicants must provide proof of graduation.
- ENGL 1020 with a grade of C or higher OR ENGL 1021 with a grade of C or higher, and a Goal 1 Communication course (COMM 1021, COMM 1031, COMM 1041 or COMM 1051) with a grade of C or higher must be completed or in-progress with anticipated completion on or before the program application deadline.
- See the Dental Assisting Information Booklet in Admissions, or in the Advising, Counseling and Career Center for more information regarding application process and selection criteria.
- Complete the special application for the Dental Assisting program. The application deadlines can be found in the information booklet above.
Potential Job Titles
- Dental Assistants
- Minnesota Law requires any individual having contact with patients to complete a MN Human Services background study prior to starting the clinical experience. An individual may be disqualified from having patient contact and would not be permitted to participate in the clinical experience. Contact the Minnesota Board of Dentistry and the Minnesota Department of Human Services with any questions.
- Current certification in CPR is required by the end of the first semester of Dental Assistant program courses. Certification must cover adults, children and infants. The American Heart Association Health Care Provider, Level C, CPR certification meets this requirement as does EMS 1010 at Century. The Red Cross also offers an equivalent certification.
A copy of the program’s policy on hazardous materials, bloodborne pathogens, and infectious diseases is available upon request or by visiting http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/bloodbornepathogens/index.html