About the Program
The Dental Hygiene Program provides the knowledge and skills necessary to gain licensure and to practice as a dental hygienist. Skills include direct patient care, patient assessment, dental hygiene care planning, scaling, root planning, radiographs, preventive measures, sealants, local anesthetic administration, nitrous oxide sedation, and customized oral health education for individuals and groups. The program prepares you to take written and clinical licensing exams. The Dental Hygiene curriculum requires two consecutive academic years including one summer. Students will:
- Work on a professional dental team to provide high-quality patient care in a variety of settings including an onsite dental clinic
- Perform a wide range of patient procedures including patient assessment, x-rays, cleaning, and administering a local anesthetic
- Make a difference by promoting oral health for adults and children
The Dental Hygiene program begins once per year, in the Fall semester. Courses are scheduled Monday – Friday and may begin as early as 8:00 am some days and go as late as 8:00 pm other days.
Interested in earning your Bachelor of Science while earning your dental hygiene degree?
Partnering with Metropolitan State, we offer the AAS/BSDH dual admission program with simultaneous admission to Century College’s Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Dental Hygiene and Metropolitan State University’s Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene (BSDH) program. Through this unique partnership, students have the opportunity to take specific bachelor’s level degree completion courses along with associate program courses on Century’s campus. For those who desire to obtain a BSDH degree, this opportunity provides flexibility for educational and career planning and an avenue for completing a BSDH degree within one or two semesters after completing the Century College AAS dental hygiene degree.
Click the following hyperlink to explore this opportunity on the Metropolitan State MetroConnect page: https://www.metrostate.edu/apply/path/metroconnect/dental-hygiene
Special Application Required
- Melissa FussyFacultyDental Hygiene651-779-3480
- Jenny HansenFacultyDental Hygiene651-779-3480
- Lisa LarsonFacultyDental Hygiene651-773-1772
- Experience: Deb is in her fourth year at Century teaching both clinical and didactic courses in the dental hygiene department. She has over 10 years dental hygiene experience as a clinician and continues to practice at a private office in the West metro. She is also currently completing her Masters Degree in Dental Hygiene Education at University of Missouri-Kansas City.Teaching Approach: “I incorporate a student-centered approach with teaching, encourage students to engage in their own success, and utilize their interests and skills throughout the learning process.”Education: BS, Dental Hygiene, Minnesota State University-MankatoHobbies: House renovations, travel, and nature hikesDeb MerriganFacultyBioDental Hygiene651-773-1772
- Michael MilerFacultyDental Hygiene
- Deborah ValleyFacultyDental Hygiene651-773-1772
- Shannon ZurbeyFacultyDental Hygiene651-773-1772
- Tracy KunyFaculty/Program DirectorDental Hygiene651-779-3983