Delivery: Daytime classes only.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time.
About the Program
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Technology – commonly known as HVAC-R – involves the design, repair, installation, and maintenance of heating, ventilation, cooling, and refrigeration equipment. With strong demand and high wages for skilled and qualified individuals, the time to enter the HVAC-R industry has never been better. The HVAC-R program at Century College offers the classroom and hands-on instruction you will need to begin your career.
The program’s emphasis is on both residential and commercial HVAC-R systems. Graduating students can choose from a wide array of career opportunities in both the residential and commercial areas of the industry, working with both union and non-union companies. Students can also test for the EPA's Section 608 Clean Air Act Certification while attending the program.
See program requirements for a list of specific courses, but the program covers the following general topics:
- Emerging technologies and advanced equipment needed to respond to increasing energy efficiency demands.
- Diagnosing electrical circuits utilizing wiring diagrams and electrical testing equipment.
- Refrigeration and heating theory and practices.
- System design through load calculating and installation methods.
- Diagnostic and repair procedures for servicing HVAC-R systems.
- Indoor air quality and energy codes related to environmental control equipment.
- Soldering and brazing techniques and an introduction to sheetmetal fabrication.
In addition to these core concepts, the General Education courses required will help ensure individuals have the necessary oral, written, and critical thinking skills to help them with their professional responsibilities.
We partner with industry professionals and maintain an Advisory Committee that helps guide the program in determining emerging technology and trends, as well as course content. These partners are from all areas of the HVAC-R industry and are also the companies and contractors that hire our graduates and provide internship and pre-apprenticeship opportunities for current students.
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs qualify for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.
Planning for Your Program
Potential Job Titles
- Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
Average Wage: $28.38/hour
Top Earners: $42.97/hour
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu