Delivery: Daytime classes only.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time.
- HVAC Technology—Associate in Applied Science Degree (60 credits)
- HVAC Technician—Diploma (48 credits)
- Cooling—Certificate (30 credits)
- Heating—Certificate (30 credits)
About the Program
Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Technology – commonly known as HVAC-R – involves the design, repair, installation, and maintenance of heating, ventilation, cooling, and refrigeration equipment. With strong demand and high wages for skilled and qualified individuals, the time to enter the HVAC-R industry has never been better. The HVAC-R program at Century College offers the classroom and hands-on instruction you will need to begin your career.
The program’s emphasis is on both residential and commercial HVAC-R systems. Graduating students can choose from a wide array of career opportunities in both the residential and commercial areas of the industry, working with both union and non-union companies. Students can also test for the EPA’s Section 608 Clean Air Act Certification while attending the program.
See program requirements for a list of specific courses, but the program covers the following general topics:
- Emerging technologies and advanced equipment are needed to respond to increasing energy efficiency demands.
- Diagnosing electrical circuits utilizing wiring diagrams and electrical testing equipment.
- Refrigeration and heating theory and practices.
- System design through load calculating and installation methods.
- Diagnostic and repair procedures for servicing HVAC-R systems.
- Indoor air quality and energy codes related to environmental control equipment.
- Soldering and brazing techniques and an introduction to sheet metal fabrication.
In addition to these core concepts, the General Education courses required will help ensure individuals have the necessary oral, written, and critical thinking skills to help them with their professional responsibilities.
We partner with industry professionals and maintain an Advisory Committee that helps guide the program in determining emerging technology and trends, as well as course content. These partners are from all areas of the HVAC-R industry and are also the companies and contractors that hire our graduates and provide internship and pre-apprenticeship opportunities for current students.
Planning for Your Program
Request for Information
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs qualify for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College’s Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to Century College students involved in several areas of study. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Ready to get
Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
Average Wage: $28.38/hour
Top Earners: $42.97/hour