Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening, Saturday, and online courses.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Summer Semester, Full- or Part-Time.
- Mathematics Transfer Pathway — AA Degree (60 credits)
- Liberal Arts and Sciences — AA Degree (60 credits)
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum — MnTC (40 credits)
About the Program
Century's Mathematics Department offers quality courses to meet your educational needs, including:
- Developmental coursework for college-level mathematics courses.
- Program-specific courses that satisfy the mathematics requirements of degree technical programs offered at Century.
- College-level courses that meet general education requirements and successfully transfer to four-year universities in Minnesota and across the United States.
- College-level courses that meet the lower division mathematics requirements for students majoring in mathematics, natural science, chemistry, biology, engineering, computer science, business, or mathematics education.
The scope of each area is broad, stretching from prehistoric times to the frontiers of cyberspace. In each course, you'll have the opportunity to discuss and analyze representative creative works from both a historical and a cultural context.
Our Mathematics Resource Center offers free, walk-in assistance with Math coursework as well as a place to study. The center is staffed by professionals with mathematics degrees who are assisted by student tutors from advanced mathematics courses. In addition, our Mathematics Resource Center offers extended evening hours and is also open on Saturdays.
For three consecutive years (2004-06), Century Mathematics students earned first place in the state of Minnesota in the Student Mathematics League Contest of the American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC). They also earned first place in the Central Region of the United States.
Century's Mathematics faculty are experts at using technology as well as alternate teaching strategies, such as collaborative, group, and discovery learning, and the use of numerous mathematics-related software programs such as Mathematica, Derive, Maple, and Minitab. Examples of the outstanding achievements of the Mathematics faculty include:
- In 2005, Joyce Gwizdala received Century's Outstanding Faculty Award for her work in the classroom and service to the college.
- Carol Purcell received the Golden Apple Award from Phi Theta Kappa in 2006. (Faculty are nominated by their students.)
- At the 2006 AMATYC national conference, Brian Peterman had the highest score in the Faculty Mathematics Contest.
Mathematics Transfer Pathway AA Degree
The Mathematics Transfer Pathway AA degree offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an associate degree whose course credits will directly transfer to designated Mathematics bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities. The entire curriculum has been carefully designed to guarantee junior-year status to students who have been admitted to one of the seven Minnesota State universities. There, students can complete their bachelor’s degree by earning 60 additional credits.
Minnesota State universities include: Bemidji State University; Metropolitan State University; Minnesota State University, Mankato; Minnesota State University Moorhead; Southwest Minnesota State University; St. Cloud State University; and Winona State University.
Transfer Pathway degrees may transfer to colleges and universities outside of the Minnesota State system, such as private and out-of-state schools. It is highly recommended that students interested in this possibility contact their intended transfer school, advisor/counselor, and program instructors for academic planning assistance.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards a scholarship (fully funded by Mathematics Department members) to an outstanding Century College student who excels in Mathematics.
- Minnesota Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (MinnMATYC)
- American Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges (AMATYC)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Minnesota Council of Teachers of Mathematics (MCTM)
- Association for Women in Mathematics
- Women and Mathematics Education
- TODOS: Mathematics for All
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs quality for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.