Delivery: Fall daytime and online classes; Spring daytime, evening, and online classes.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time.
Prerequisite and General Education/MnTC courses are available daytime, evening, and online; Fall, Spring, and Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
- Medical Assistant — Diploma (51 credits)
Interested in a career in healthcare?
Students can start now by taking their prerequisites. View the Medical Assistant Application Booklet for more details. Working on your prerequisite courses? There are also MEDA courses you can take while you complete them (refer to the course catalog).
Century College Medical Assistant Diploma Program was recently awarded Editor’s Pick among the Best Online (Hybrid) Options for 2020-21.
Offering flexible start dates and scheduling options, and backed by a track record for exceptional graduate outcomes, the Century College Medical Assistant Diploma easily earns its place on our list of Top Picks for the Best Online Medical Assistant Programs for 2020-21!
Read more about this exciting recognition!
In addition, the Medical Assistant Program was awarded the Excellence in Curriculum Planning Award by the Minnesota State System. Read more.
About the Program
The Medical Assistant program is designed for career opportunities as a professional, multi-skilled person dedicated to assisting in patient care management. The medical assistant performs clinical, laboratory, and administrative skills in clinics, doctor offices, and other health care agencies. The clinical externship is under the direct supervision of a physician, and is a 300-hour unpaid experience. Century College students will:
- Enhance the quality of patients’ lives using professional skills, methods, and technology
- Perform clinical, laboratory, and administrative tasks in classrooms, clinics, doctors’ offices, and other healthcare agencies
- Be a multi-skilled professional dedicated to assisting in patient care management
Graduates of the Medical Assistant program are eligible to take the Certification Exam of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
Based on the most recent Annual Report Form submitted to the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB) and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP), the 2019 following outcomes of the Diploma Medical Assistant Program at Century College in White Bear Lake, Minnesota are noted below:
Graduate satisfaction: 100%
Employer satisfaction: 100%
The Medical Assistant Program at Century College has a retention rate of 90.62% for the 2019 admission cohort. There are a number of support services available to students so that they can successfully pass the national certification examination.
Special Application Required
Please note: Admission into the Medical Assistant day/evening programs requires a special application, which is located below.
Fall Semester 2022 application closes May 31st. Spring semseter 2023 application will open June 20th and closes October 3, 2022. To apply here, CLICK.
Click Here to view optional video instructions on how to apply for the program
For help with your StarID for logging into the Medical Assistant Program application, please click here. Please note, you must have an active Century College admission application on file in the past 365 days or be registered for classes within the past 365 days for your StarID to be active. Click here to submit or resubmit a general admission application.
- An official high school transcript verifying graduation or an official GED certificate.
- Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- The following Century College courses or transfer equivalents must be completed by the application deadline:
BIOL 1024 Human Biology
HLTH 1001 Medical Terminology with a grade of C or higher.
CAPL 1010 - Introduction to Software Applications OR CSCI - 1020 Introduction to Personal Computers and Information Systems with a grade of C or higher (applicants for the Day Program may take CAPL or CSCI along with their first semester courses, although it is preferred to be competed in advance).
- The following additional courses or transfer equivalents should be completed as soon as possible for the DAY session program application and must be completed prior to application for the EVENING session, (and must be completed prior to MEDA 1780 Clinical Externship):
COMM 1031 Interpersonal Communication OR COMM 1051 Intercultural Communication
ENGL 1021 English Composition or ENGL 1020 English Composition
PSYC 1020 General Psychology OR PSYC 1041 Developmental Psychology OR PSYC 1030 Psychology of Adjustment
- Developmental coursework indicated by course placement test results must be completed prior to application to the Medical Assistant program.
- Any Request for Exemption to Admission Requirements must be submitted in the online application. See your advisor 1st for assistance. Any appeal of the selection decision must be submitted via the link in the decision email. For questions contact MedicalAssistantAPP@century.edu.
- A grade of C or higher must be obtained in all career/occupational courses to earn a diploma in Medical Assisting at Century College.
- MN Human Services background study with no restrictions prior to MEDA 1011. Students will complete a MN Human Services background study application during the MEDA orientation. The Minnesota Department of Health requires any individual having contact with patients to complete a background study prior to starting the clinical experience. An individual may be disqualified from having patient contact and would not be permitted to participate in the clinical experience if a clearance is not issued. Call the MN Department of Human Services with specific questions, 651-431-2000.
- CPR certification at the Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer level (EMS 1010 or equivalent) is required by the end of their first semester in the program.
- Refer to the Program Information Packet for information regarding the immunizations required prior to MEDA 1012.
- Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.
Planning for Your Program
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs quality for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College's Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to our students. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
The Century College Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 113th Street N #7709
Seminole, FL 33775-7709
Potential Job Titles
- Medical Assistant
- Certified Medical Assistant
(after successfully completing the AAMA certification test)
- Registered Medical Assistant
(after successfully completing the AMT certification test)