Delivery: Fall daytime and online classes; Spring daytime, evening, and online classes.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester; Full- or Part-Time.
Prerequisite and General Education/MnTC courses are available daytime, evening, and online; Fall, Spring, and Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
Interested in a career in healthcare?
Century College’s Medical Assistant Program is accepting applications for their Spring 2020 day and evening cohorts. The deadline to apply is August 31, 2019.
Students can start now by taking their prerequisites during Fall Semester 2019. View the Medical Assistant application for more details. Working on your prerequisite courses? There are also MEDA courses you can take while you complete them.
The Century College Medical Assistant program was recently named the #1 ranked Medical Assistant program in the nation by TopMedicalAssistantPrograms.org, and was the only Medical Assistant program in Minnesota to rank in the top 30.
The #1 ranking was based on a combination of data and metrics, including graduation rates, retention rates and tuition rates, exemplifying the quality and value of the Medical Assistant program at Century College.
Read more about this exciting recognition!
In addition, the Medical Assistant program was awarded the Excellence in Curriculum Planning award by the Minnesota State system. Read more.
About the Program
Please note: Admission into the Medical Assistant day/evening programs requires a special application.
The Medical Assistant program is designed for career opportunities as a professional, multi-skilled person dedicated to assisting in patient care management. The medical assistant performs clinical, laboratory, and administrative skills in clinics, doctor offices, and other health care agencies. The clinical externship is under the direct supervision of a physician, and is a 300-hour unpaid experience. Century College students will:
- Enhance the quality of patients’ lives using professional skills, methods, and technology
- Perform clinical, laboratory, and administrative tasks in classrooms, clinics, doctors’ offices, and other healthcare agencies
- Be a multi-skilled professional dedicated to assisting in patient care management
Graduates of the Medical Assistant program are eligible to take the Certification Exam of the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA).
Based on the most recent Annual Report Form submitted to the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB) and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs (CAAHEP), the five-year weighted the five-year weighted average for the following outcomes of the Diploma Medical Assistant Program at Century College in White Bear Lake, Minnesota are noted below:
Graduate satisfaction: 100%
Employer satisfaction: 97%
The Medical Assistant Program at Century College has a retention rate of 93% for the admission cohort that entered in 2016. There are a number of support services available to students so that they can successfully complete the program.
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs quality for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.
The Century College Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
June 1 for Fall semester day section start and August 31 for Spring semester day & evening sections start. Please refer to the application booklet available in Admissions, Counseling Center, and online for more information.
- An official high school transcript verifying graduation or an official GED certificate.
- Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- Arithmetic course placement test score of 64 or higher or elementary algebra course placement test score of 76 or higher
- OR course placement/ACT score placement into MATH 0070 or above
- OR completion of MATH 0010 or MATH 0015 (previously) or MATH 0030 or MATH 0060 with a grade of C or higher.
We strongly encourage students who score below 64 to meet with an advisor or counselor to discuss their review and course options PRIOR to Math course placement retesting or registering for a Math course. Contact the Advising, Counseling and Career Center at 651.779.3285, West 2410.
- The following Century College courses or transfer equivalents must be completed by the application deadline:
BIOL 1024 Human Biology
HLTH 1001 Medical Terminology with a grade of C or higher.
CAPL 1010 Introduction to Software Applications OR CSCI 1020 Introduction to Personal Computers and Information Systems with a grade of C or higher.
- The following additional courses or transfer equivalents should be completed as soon as possible for the DAY session program application and must be completed prior to application for the EVENING session, (and must be completed prior to MEDA 1780 Clinical Externship):
COMM 1031 Interpersonal Communication OR COMM 1051 Intercultural Communication
ENGL 1021 English Composition
PSYC 1020 General Psychology OR PSYC 1041 Developmental Psychology OR PSYC 1030 Psychology of Adjustment
- Developmental coursework indicated by course placement test results must be completed prior to application to the Medical Assistant program.
- Any Request for Exemption to Admission Requirements/Appeal Selection Decision petitions must be submitted to the Admissions Office prior to the application deadline. Please refer to the information and application booklet available in Admissions, Counseling, Career, and Advising Center, and online for more information.
Potential Job Titles
- Medical Assistant
- Certified Medical Assistant
(after successfully completing the AAMA certification test)
- Registered Medical Assistant
(after successfully completing the AMT certification test)
- A grade of C or higher must be obtained in all career/occupational courses to earn a diploma in Medical Assisting at Century College.
- MN Human Services background study with no restrictions prior to MEDA 1011. Students will complete a MN Human Services background study application during the MEDA orientation. The Minnesota Department of Health requires any individual having contact with patients to complete a background study prior to starting the clinical experience. An individual may be disqualified from having patient contact and would not be permitted to participate in the clinical experience if a clearance is not issued. Call the MN Department of Human Services with specific questions, 651-431-2000.
- CPR certification at the Health Care Provider or Professional Rescuer level (EMS 1010 or equivalent) is required by the end of their first semester in the program.
- Refer to the Program Information Packet for information regarding the immunizations required prior to MEDA 1012.
- Students must be able to perform physical tasks to complete course requirements.