Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening, Saturday, and online courses.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Summer Session, Full- or Part-Time.
- Mental and Behavioral Health Worker — Certificate (22 credits)
- Psychology Transfer Pathway — AA (60 credits)
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum — MnTC (40 credits)
About the Program
This certificate prepares students to enter the workplace as an entry-level Mental/Behavioral Health Worker. Mental/Behavioral Health Workers work directly with individuals with mental health diagnoses by interviewing them to obtain information, assisting with daily activities, practicing skills, and monitoring behavior and care. They may work in hospitals, residential facilities, at patients’ homes, or other locations in the community.
The coursework in this certificate provides students with the theoretical and practical knowledge about mental health, human development, and psychological principles that they will need for these positions, and prepares students to provide direct patient care under the supervision of a mental health or medical professional.
Since approximately 50 percent of the population will develop a mental health disorder at some point in their lives, the need for training in mental health is high!
Completion of this certificate offers many benefits, including:
- Learn more about mental health and how to effectively assist people with mental health concerns
- Obtain “real world” experience and employment while you pursue your degree
- Earn a valuable “add on” certificate to other Century programs such as nursing/healthcare, education, first responder programs, and other helping professions (for example, it is only 11 additional credits for pre-Nursing, Addiction Counseling, and Health Sciences Broad Field students)
- A career advancement opportunity for individuals already in the workplace who are looking to increase their marketability and training in mental health
- An addition to your resume to highlight your training in psychology and mental health
Planning for Your Program
Potential Job Titles
- Psychiatric Technician
- Mental/Behavioral Health Worker
- Mental Health Assistant/Technician
- Behavior Technician
- Behavioral Health Associate