Delivery: A mix of daytime and evening courses.
Start: Fall or Spring: Full- or Part-Time.
- Narrative Video Production — Associate in Applied Science Degree (60 credits)
- Narrative Video Production — Diploma (48 credits)
- Online Video Content Creator — Certificate (12 credits)
About the Program
Write your own hero story. Become a video producer in the Narrative Video Production Degree program. The story guides production decisions, and in this degree, you will realize the value of storytelling, planning, shooting, editing, and visual effects as you create narrative films, news stories, and documentaries, as well as marketing, instructional, and promotional pieces.
This program is part of the Visual Communications Careers (VCC) area and is designed to provide you with the skills you need to enter a career once you have completed the degree. Although the A.A.S. degree is not designed for transfer to a four-year school, your general education and liberal arts courses typically do transfer. Some of your career-oriented courses may also transfer to specific majors at certain schools through the petition process.
- Tell amazing stories by developing and producing creative films and videos for real-world clients
- Use cutting-edge professional camera gear, hardware, and software while crafting an impressive portfolio
- Attain hands-on expertise in visual communications working individually and with imaginative peers
- Career Focus: Prepared for immediate employment, and further education with a professional portfolio
Interested in a career in Narrative Video Production? Schedule a program tour!
Online Video Content Creator Certificate (12 credits)
NEW! Earn an Online Video Content Creator Certificate in one semester!
Companies are eagerly looking for video content creators. Today’s online producers need more than just the technical skills of camera and light placement, audio level adjustment, multi-camera switching, and how to stream live video - they also need to understand marketing and how to use video storytelling techniques to deliver key messages. This Certificate will study story structure and character arc. It will explore how to use social media to drive traffic to websites and ecommerce pages, as well as, how to access site analytics, track advertising campaigns, and how to deliver follow up messages.
- NVP 1012 – Introduction to Visual Communications Careers
- NVP 1013 – Fundamentals of Applied Design
- NVP 1133 – Video 1: Introduction to Narrative Video Production
- MKTG 2055 - Web and Mobile Marketing (Fall) or MKTG 2065 - Principles of Social Media Marketing (Spring)
Request for Information
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs qualify for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College’s Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to Century College students involved in several areas of study. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Ready to get
Narrative Video Production Testimonials
Potential Job Titles
- Film and Video Editor*
- Social Media Content Creator
- Slate Operator
- Wedding Video Producer
- Cable TV Camera Operator
*34.7% of workers in this area have an associate degree or less, and 65.3% have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu
Audio and Video Equipment Technicians
Average Wage: $22.30/hour
Top Earners: $29.58/hour
Sound Engineering Technicians
Average Wage: $22.07/hour
Top Earners: $28.45/hour
Producers and Directors *
Average Wage: $32.80/hour
Top Earners: $41.21/hour
Average Wage: $21.34/hour
Top Earners: $25.69/hour
Film and Video Editors *
Average Wage: $23.67/hour
Top Earners: $33.89/hour
*Wages listed are for a variety of experience and education levels.
Information gathered pertains to the seven-county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu
Creative Writing: Screenwriting (ENGL 2029)
The Art of Film (HUM 1041)
International Film (HUM 1043)
American Film (HUM 1045)
Drones: Commercial Applications (SOLR 1021)
Acting for the Camera (THTR 1033)
- Experience: Mike Eddy is an Apple Certified Final Cut Pro X Trainer and has been a Century College Filmmaking & Video Production instructor since 2007. With more than 30 years in the visual communication industry, Mike has experience in video production, photography, print, web, interactive kiosks, and stage productions. Mike began working in this field back in the day when “multi-media” meant two slide projectors and a tape deck and when animated computer graphics meant programing HyperCard on a Mac II. He has had the privilege to work with General Mills, Federated Insurance, 3M, Andersen Windows, Apple, Compassion International, South Washington County School District, 5 Eyewitness News, and many other media production companies in the Twin Cities area.Teaching Approach: Mike’s teaching philosophy is to put students in the position to succeed. In order to continually improve the performance of the Filmmaking and Video Production students, he feels they need the right skills and equipment. But, they also need the right experience. “I recently heard a football coach describe his job as ‘putting the players in the right position.’ The player still had to execute the block or tackle, but the coach arranged them in the right place on the field to be successful. As a teacher, more of a coach or mentor, I see the analogy in this. I need to provide my students with three things: 1) The skills to compete. This could be software or equipment but also soft skills like professionalism. 2) The availability of proper equipment. What will they be using in the current industry? And 3) I need to provide balanced opportunities. By finding the right situation there is a balance of pressure from a real client to do a great job and the freedom to learn by trial and error.”Education: Mike graduated with a BA degree in Religion from Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN, in 1980.Notable: Mike received the honor of being chosen as a National Post-Secondary Teacher of the Year finalists in 2023 by the Association of Career and Technical Educators (ACTE). The 2021 Post-Secondary Educator of the year for all Minnesota and Career and Technical Colleges was awarded to Mike by the Minnesota Association for Career and Technical Education Administrators (MACTA). In addition, Mike received the Minnesota State Board of Trustees Excellence in Teaching award in 2018 and was named one of the Century College Exemplary Educators.Mike EddyFaculty/Program DirectorBioVisual Communications Careers651-779-5530