About the Program
This Certificate is designed for individuals seeking employment in direct patient care under the supervision of a nurse in long term care, acute care and/or home care settings. Upon completion of this certificate, you will be eligible to take the examination for placement on the Minnesota Department of Health Nursing Assistant Registry. The Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide course includes Home Health Aide curriculum. The course meets the requirements of the Minnesota Department of Health and OBRA.
Note: When searching to apply for Nursing Assistant courses, select "Health Sciences" in the Subject field.
Options for taking a Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide course at Century College
Century College provides two options for students to enroll in a Nursing Assistant/Home Health Aide course. These options are:
For college credit: the credit course HSCI 1001, Health Sciences, is offered through Century's Course Schedule.
Not for college credit (Non-Credit): the exact same course is offered through Continuing Education and Customized Training. For this option, you do not need to apply to become a Century College student. Search for open courses through Continuing Education and Customized Training or call 651-779-3341. Search for “Nursing Assistant” under Health and Human Services to find this course.
Differences Between Credit and Non-Credit Offering
Select Nursing Assistant courses are offered concurrently. The instruction, curriculum, and expectations are the same for both. Attendance is mandatory. Background studies must be cleared through the DHS prior to providing direct patient care in clinical.
Students may choose to take the NA course for credit to utilize financial aid resources and to earn college credit. There are limited offerings for credit each semester. HSCI 1001 is not a general education or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) course and does not apply to a degree. Successful completion of either the credit or non-credit NA courses provide eligibility for employment. NA courses highly recommended as preparation for the nursing program at Century College, but are not required.
- Credit Registration: You must have completed high school and earned a diploma or GED to register for credit courses. If you are not already a student at Century you must apply to the college, pay a $20 application fee, and complete the steps required for credit enrollment. Credit courses will appear on your Century academic transcript. The HSCI 1001 course is evaluated as a Pass/Fail course.
- Non-Credit Registration: You do not need to apply to the college. Your registration is processed separately through Continuing Education and Customized Training.
Registration Costs for Credit and Non-Credit NA Course
The course cost is comparable. If you are currently employed in long-term care, inquire with your employer regarding reimbursement options.
Refer to Century’s current tuition rates and fees for the cost per credit in addition to the $20.00 application fee.
Refer to Nursing Assistant under Health and Human Services on the Continuing Education and Customized Training webpage for the current cost for non-credit courses.
There is an additional cost of $213.00 (subject to change) for the Nursing Assistant Competency Exam, offered through Continuing Education and Customized Training. This is payable in two separate payments as follows:
- A payment of $149.00 is due at the time of registration, payable to Century College;
- The $64.00 balance is due at the scheduled exam session, payable to 'Pearson VUE' (the testing company); cashier's check, money order, or facility checks only (cash and personal checks not accepted for the Pearson VUE fee).
To register for the Nursing Assistant Competency Exam, search for the course “Nursing Assistant Competency Exam” or call 651-779-3341.
After you register:
Go to CNA Information for course requirements and directions to course locations. Please note courses are held at various long-term care facilities in the Metro area. Locations are noted on the course listings.
Questions about the Nursing Assistant courses:
If you have specific questions about the credit course offerings (HSCI 1001), please contact an Academic Advisor/Counselor at 651-779-3285.
If you have specific questions about the non-credit course offerings or course dates, times, or locations, please contact Continuing Education and Customized Training at 651-779-3341.
Questions about the NA competency examination:
For questions about the NA competency exam or to register for an exam, please call Continuing Education and Customized Training at 651-779-3341.
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs qualify for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.
Planning for Your Program
Potential Job Titles
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- Home Health Aides
Careers in long term care, acute care (hospitals), transitional care, and home care settings are the most common as a Nursing Assistant and/or Home Health Aide.
Certified Nursing Assistant
Average Wage: $13.91/hour
Top Earners: $18.11/hour
Home Health Aides
Average Wage: $11.48/hour
Top Earners: $14.62/hour
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu
- Course placement into RDNG 0080 or ESOL 0032.
- Minnesota State Registry of Nursing Assistants requires registrants to be 16 years of age or older.
- MN Department of Human Services Background Study: Minnesota Department of Health requires any individual having contact with patients to complete a background study prior to starting this program. An individual may be disqualified from having patient contact and would not be permitted to participate in the clinical experience if a clearance is not issued. Call MN Department of Human Services with specific questions, 651.431.2000.