Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening and online courses. Can be completed entirely online.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
About the Program
The Medical Office program prepares you to perform key functions in almost any medical office environment. The medical office technology program prepares you for today’s medical office responsibilities with knowledge in medical terms and anatomy as well as keyboarding, word processing, communications, filing and interpersonal relations. The program also includes medical insurance, billing, coding, electronic health records, transcription, editing, and other administrative classes. Students will:
- Combine business applications and knowledge of medicine, pharmacology, and coding to create and manage electronic health records
- Provide critical administrative support to hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, and other health care providers
- Help people navigate the health care system by ensuring access and transfer of accurate medical information
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs qualify for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.
Planning for Your Program
Potential Job Titles
- Healthcare Documentation Specialist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Secretary
- Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
- Medical Coder
Medical Transcriptionist/Healthcare Documentation Specialist
Average Wage: $17.85/hour
Top Earners: $24.52/hour
Average Wage: $18.81/hour
Top Earners: $23.09/hour
Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
Average Wage: $17.53/hour
Top Earners: $23.16/hour
Average Wage: $19.54/hour
Top Earners: $25.67/hour
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu
These prerequisites must be met for OFFT 2006 and OFFT 2010. These two courses are prerequisites for many of the other OFFT Medical courses in this program (OFFT 2012, 2013, 2021, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2035, 2041, 2044, 2050, 2783). Students should not register for any courses for which the prerequisites have not been met. Program faculty will enforce prerequisites.
- Declared Office Technology-Medical major with the Century College Records Office.
- Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- Completed all online self-assessments on the Century College Online Learning Guide to determine if technology requirements are met.
- ELearnReady is one of the self-assessments that must be completed. Students must have a score of 89 or higher on the Technical Skills portion of the eLearnReady survey.
- Typing score of at least 30 adjusted words per minute (wpm) as measured on https://www.learn2type.com/typingtest/typingtest.cfm.
- A minimum score of 80 percent on https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/word/quiz/.
- Please fill out and submit the Program Requirement Checklist before you start this program. Email it to Julie Myhre, OFFT instructor.