Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening and online courses. Can be completed entirely online.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
- Medical Office Assistant — Associate in Applied Science Degree (60 credits)
- Medical Administrative Support — Diploma (47 credits)
- Medical Office Support — Certificate (18 credits)
About the Program
The Medical Office program prepares you to perform critical functions in almost any medical office environment. The medical office technology program prepares you for today’s medical office responsibilities with knowledge in medical terms and anatomy and keyboarding, word processing, communications, filing, and interpersonal relations. The program includes medical insurance, billing, coding, electronic health records, transcription, editing, and other administrative classes. Students will:
- Combine business applications and knowledge of medicine, pharmacology, and coding to create and manage electronic health records.
- Provide critical administrative support to hospitals, clinics, insurance companies, and other healthcare providers.
- Help people navigate the health care system by ensuring access and transfer of accurate medical information
Planning for Your Program
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
The Higher Learning Commission accredits Century College, and our programs qualify for financial aid, including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College’s Federal School Code is 010546.
The Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to our students each year. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Advanced planning is critical when you transfer.
Transfer Planning - Articulation Agreements
These agreements help students transfer to four-year institutions.
Potential Job Titles
- Healthcare Documentation Specialist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Secretary
- Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
- Medical Coder
Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
Average Wage: $17.53/hour
Top Earners: $23.16/hour
Medical Transcriptionist/Healthcare Documentation Specialist
Average Wage: $17.85/hour
Top Earners: $24.52/hour
Average Wage: $18.81/hour
Top Earners: $23.09/hour
Average Wage: $19.54/hour
Top Earners: $25.67/hour
Information gathered pertains to seven-county metro area-careerwise.minnstate.edu
- Declared Office Technology-Medical major with the Century College Records Office.
- Course placement into college-level English and Reading OR completion of ENGL 0950 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of RDNG 0940 with a grade of C or higher and qualifying English Placement Exam OR completion of RDNG 0950 with a grade of C or higher and ENGL 0090 with a grade of C or higher OR completion of ESOL 0051 with a grade of C or higher and ESOL 0052 with a grade of C or higher.
- Check the Computer Requirements section of the Online Learning page to determine if technology requirements are met.
- ELearnReady is one of the self-assessments that must be completed. Students must score 89 or higher on the Technical Skills portion of the eLearnReady survey.
- Typing score of at least 30 adjusted words per minute (wpm) as measured on https://www.learn2type.com/typingtest/typingtest.cfm.
- A minimum score of 80 percent on https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/word/quiz/.
- Please fill out and submit the Program Requirement Checklist before you start this program. Email it to MedOffTech@century.edu.