Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening and online courses. Can be completed entirely online.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
About the Program
The Medical Office program prepares you to perform key functions in almost any medical office environment. The medical office technology program prepares you for today’s medical office responsibilities with knowledge in medical terms and anatomy as well as keyboarding, word processing, communications, filing and interpersonal relations. The program also includes medical insurance, billing, coding, electronic health records, transcription, editing, and other administrative classes.
- Transfer Planning - Articulation Agreements
These agreements provide students with educational plans to help them transfer to four-year institutions.
- Transfer Resources
Advanced planning is critical when you transfer. Learn more about possible options.
- Bachelor Degree Planning
We partner with many institutions offering Bachelor's degrees that can be completed here, online, or at a metro location.
Potential Job Titles
- Healthcare Documentation Specialist
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Secretary
- Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
- Medical Coder
Medical Transcriptionist/Healthcare Documentation Specialist
Average Wage: $17.85/hour
Top Earners: $24.52/hour
Average Wage: $18.81/hour
Top Earners: $23.09/hour
Insurance Policy & Claims Clerk
Average Wage: $17.53/hour
Top Earners: $23.16/hour
Average Wage: $19.54/hour
Top Earners: $25.67/hour
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu
These prerequisites must be met for OFFT 2006 and OFFT 2010. These two courses are prerequisites for many of the other OFFT Medical courses in this program (OFFT 2012, 2013, 2021, 2030, 2031, 2032, 2035, 2041, 2044, 2050, 2783). Students should not register for any courses for which the prerequisites have not been met. Program faculty will enforce prerequisites.
- Declared Office Technology-Medical major with the Century College Records Office.
- Course placement in RDNG 1000 or completion of RDNG 0900 or 0950 with a grade of C or higher.
- Completed all online self-assessments on the Century College Online Learning Guide to determine if technology requirements are met.
- SmarterMeasure is one of the self-assessments that must be completed. Students must have a score of 76 or above in the Overall Technical Competency on the SmarterMeasure assessment.
- Typing accuracy of at least 85% and typing speed of at least 30 words per minute as measured on www.typingtest.com.
- A minimum score of 80 percent on http://www.gcflearnfree.org/word2013/quiz.
- Please fill out and submit the Office Technology - Medical Program Prerequisite Checklist before you start this program. Email it to Julie Myhre, OFFT instructor.