About the Program
The goal of the Paramedic Fire Science program is to prepare competent entry-level Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels.
The paramedic and fire services fields have a long history of serving the public with tremendous honor and courage. Individuals who dedicate themselves to the paramedic and fire service professions not only gain the satisfaction of helping others in their greatest moment of need, but become part of public safety communities where they feel acceptance and belonging.
The NEW Paramedic Fire Science Associate in Applied Science degree at Century College is unique - integrating the roles of emergency medical services and firefighting into emergency response practice. This degree is Minnesota’s first combined degree program. It is an innovative, flexible degree option that will prepare students to work in a high-demand career in a dual role (paramedic & firefighter) response agency.
Interested in the program? Read the Paramedic Fire Application & Program Requirements.
- Flexibility – a significant portion of the classroom education is delivered through online learning, the degree can be completed in 1 year, and the program is structured to be conducive to working adults living in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and beyond;
- Experience – gain practical field experience in both an advanced life support ambulance and fire apparatus;
- Instruction – learn from dedicated faculty who have years of real-world, life-saving experience and are current practitioners.
- Faculty and other program staff are well credentialed and experienced experts in the field of EMS and fire Services. All are currently working in the field. Review full-time faculty bios.
- Classroom 100% online with a 3-day consecutive skill session monthly. Clinicals on-site;
- State-of-the-art skills lab including 2 full-scale ambulance simulators, a full scale motor vehicle, a wide range of manikins including Sim-Man™, Sim-Baby™, Mega-code Kid™ and industry-current equipment;
- Medical direction provided by Charles Lick, MD, Kacia Engel, MD, and Joey Duren, MD;
- Interdisciplinary opportunities with Century’s Public Safety, Criminal Justice, and Law Enforcement career programs;
- Articulation agreements with area four year institutions, including Bethel University, St. Mary's University, and Metropolitan State University.
Special Application Required
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs quality for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College's Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to our students. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Since 1987 the Century College Paramedic program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
9355 - 113th Street North
Seminole, FL 33775
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions
8301 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088