About the Program
Do you want to think more critically, read more carefully, write more logically, and sound really smart in casual conversation? If so, then you should consider taking a philosophy course. The Philosophy Department at Century College offers you a wide variety of courses to help meet your academic and transfer goals. When you take a course in Ethics, Introduction to Philosophy, Logic, World Religions, or Moral Issues in Healthcare, you’ll have the opportunity to grapple with some of the most profound questions people have asked through the ages, such as:
- Does God exist?
- What is the nature of reality?
- Why should I be moral?
- How do I know that I know something?
- What is logical thinking?
- What does it mean to live the “good life”?
- What is faith, superstition, and religion?
- How can I develop a coherent, meaningful and unique worldview?
As you can probably tell, philosophers tend to be better at asking questions (and starting a good debate) than definitively answering them! But, the process of posing philosophical questions and learning how other philosophers have tried to answer these questions will help you to become a better and more insightful critical thinker, writer, and conversationalist.