Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening, Saturday, and online courses.
Start: Fall or Spring Semester, Summer Semester, Full- or Part-Time.
- Liberal Arts and Sciences — AA Degree (60 credits)
- Minnesota Transfer Curriculum — MnTC (40 credits)
About the Program
Do you want to think more critically, read more carefully, write more logically, and sound really smart in casual conversation? If so, then you should consider taking a philosophy course. The Philosophy Department at Century College offers you a wide variety of courses to help meet your academic and transfer goals. When you take a course in Ethics, Introduction to Philosophy, Logic, World Religions, or Moral Issues in Healthcare, you’ll have the opportunity to grapple with some of the most profound questions people have asked through the ages, such as:
- Does God exist?
- What is the nature of reality?
- Why should I be moral?
- How do I know that I know something?
- What is logical thinking?
- What does it mean to live the “good life”?
- What is faith, superstition, and religion?
- How can I develop a coherent, meaningful, and unique worldview?
As you can probably tell, philosophers tend to be better at asking questions (and starting a good debate) than definitively answering them! But, the process of posing philosophical questions and learning how other philosophers have tried to answer these questions will help you to become a better and more insightful critical thinker, writer, and conversationalist.
Request for Information
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs qualify for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College’s Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to Century College students involved in several areas of study. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Ready to get
- Carl ChungFacultyPhilosophy651-748-2638
- Jonathan GundersonFacultyPhilosophy651-747-4007
- David NahFacultyPhilosophy651-747-4007
- Experience: Steve has been teaching Philosophy at Century College for 15 years. His area of specialization is in Ethics; more specifically, Virtue Ethics. Outside the classroom he serves as the student advisor for the Alpha Omega Christian club at Century.Teaching Approach: Dr. Odmark has three goals for every course he teaches. First, to love students and genuinely seek their good for their own sake. Second, to help students be rational; he always reminds them to ask “what is it rational for me to believe?” Third, to teach the subject matter in a way that is applicable and memorable.Education: PhD, Philosophy, University of Nebraska; MA, Philosophy of Religion, Talbot School of Theology; BA, Communication, University of UtahHobbies: Watching Soccer and Brewing Beer.Steve OdmarkFacultyBioPhilosophy651-779-5836
- Bernard WalkerFacultyPhilosophy651-779-3205