Delivery: A mix of daytime, evening and online courses.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
- Energy Technical Specialist — Associate in Applied Science Degree (60 credits)
- Advanced Photovoltaic Energy Systems — Certificate (30 credits)
- Advanced Solar Thermal Energy Systems — Certificate (30 credits)
- Solar Assessor — Certificate (16 credits)
- Solar Sales and Marketing — Certificate (16 credits)
About the Program
The Associate in Applied Science Degree will convey the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in traditional and renewable energy fields. The degree will prepare students for work as technicians in in the following industries: coal fired electric power generation, natural gas distribution, ethanol production, biodiesel production, wind turbine maintenance and/or solar energy. Students enrolled in Century College's solar program will:
- Implement clean energy technologies that make a difference on the environment and promote social responsibility
- Participate on a team of technicians who design, install, and verify performance of solar systems
- Belong to a green and sustainable industry that uses modern engineering tools and techniques to power the world
Century College is part of state-wide consortium of nine Minnesota State institutions offering this joint Associate in Applied Science degree in Renewable Energy. Century College is the only Metro-area college in the consortium. Many of the consortium credits are available online.
The certificate in Advanced Photovoltaic Energy Systems is designed to provide entrance into the field of photovoltaic energy systems. It is also designed to provide existing contractors and other industry professionals with skills necessary to work in photovoltaic installation and maintenance.
The certificate in Advanced Solar Thermal Energy Systems is designed to provide existing contractors and other industry professionals with installation and maintenance skills necessary to become solar contractors.
The Solar Assessor Certificate is designed to prepare you to work as solar assessors for contractors. Graduates will be able to do a basic site assessment including the feasibility of solar thermal, estimated costs, recommended products, and other information for a solar contractor to create a professional assessment and cost estimate of a solar project.
Potential Job Titles
- Solar/Photovoltaic Installer
- Solar Assessor
- Installation Supervisor
- Industrial Technician
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour
Solar Assessor *
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour; $175.00-$250.00/site
Average Wage: $18.22/hour
Top Earners: $23.36/hour
Average Wage: $22.62/hour
* This is a new and emerging career field. Job title and salary data is difficult to estimate at this time. Please refer to the following websites for current information:
Minnesota Energy Careers | Minnesota Green Careers | Minnesota Renewable Energy Society
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu