Delivery: A mix of daytime and online courses.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
About the Program
We believe in doing our part in protecting the planet from the effects of climate change. We launch fulfilling careers for those who want to make an impact and we equip you with leading-edge knowledge and skills to be successful and make a difference in the solar and renewable energy industries.
Earn $76,710 a year in 5 years!
Complete a certificate in Solar and Renewable Energy and start working immediately as an Apprentice Electrician at a solar installation company. After 4 years of employment, you will qualify to take the Journeyman's Exam and become a licensed electrician.
Electricians in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area earn $76,710 a year on average, with some earning as much as $94,238 a year.
The time is NOW for a career in Solar Energy!
- The price of solar energy is now less expensive than nearly all other technologies, including coal and natural gas.
- Legislation is in place to ensure the move from a fossil fuel energy economy to one of renewable energy.
- We presently are only generating 1% of our electricity from solar energy. That leaves room for decades of great careers in the industry.
Solar Assessor Certificate
We are offering a 16-credit, fully online Solar Assessor certificate, which will enable you to become a Solar Energy Assessor or Installer. It is possible to complete this certificate in one semester or approximately 4 months. The certificate is available in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Here are just a few of the major topics that the certificate covers:
- Solar modules and solar equipment
- Software and apps
- OSHA 10 safety card and NEC code requirements
- Solar system design
- Drone applications in the industry
- Energy storage and monitoring systems
Students enrolled in Century College's solar program will:
- Implement clean energy technologies that make a difference on the environment and promote social responsibility
- Participate on a team of technicians who design, install, and verify performance of solar systems
- Belong to a green and sustainable industry that uses modern engineering tools and techniques to power the world
Interested in a career in Solar and Renewable Energy? Schedule a program tour!
Planning for Your Program
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs quality for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College's Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to our students. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Potential Job Titles
- Solar/Photovoltaic Installer
- Solar Assessor
- Installation Supervisor
- Industrial Technician
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour
Average Wage: $18.22/hour
Top Earners: $23.36/hour
Average Wage: $22.62/hour
Average Wage: $36.88/hour
* This is a new and emerging career field. Job title and salary data is difficult to estimate at this time. Please refer to the following websites for current information:
Minnesota Energy Careers | Minnesota Green Careers | Minnesota Renewable Energy Society
** After passing the Journeyman's Exam and becoming a licensed electrician.
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu