Delivery: A mix of daytime and online courses.
Start: Fall, Spring, or Summer; Full- or Part-Time.
- Energy Technical Specialist — Associate in Applied Science Degree (60 credits)
- Advanced Solar Photovoltaic Energy Systems – Certificate (30 credits)
- Solar Assessor – Certificate (16 credits)
- Solar Sales and Marketing – Certificate (16 credits)
- Advanced Solar Thermal Energy Systems – Certificate (30 credits)
About the Program
Earn $76,710 a year in 5 years!
Complete a certificate in Solar and Renewable Energy and start working immediately as an Apprentice Electrician at a solar installation company. After 4 years of employment, you will qualify to take the Journeyman’s Exam and become a licensed electrician.
Electricians in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area earns $76,710 a year on average, with some earning as much as $94,238 a year.
The time is NOW for a career in Solar Energy!
- The price of solar energy is now less expensive than nearly all other technologies, including coal and natural gas.
- Legislation is in place to ensure the move from a fossil fuel energy economy to one of renewable energy.
- We presently are only generating 1% of our electricity from solar energy. That leaves room for decades of great careers in the industry.
Solar Assessor Certificate
We are offering a 16-credit, fully online Solar Assessor certificate, which will enable you to become a Solar Energy Assessor or Installer. It is possible to complete this certificate in one semester or approximately 4 months. The certificate is available in both the Fall and Spring semesters. Here are just a few of the major topics that the certificate covers:
- Solar modules and solar equipment
- Software and apps
- OSHA 10 safety card and NEC code requirements
- Solar system design
- Drone applications in the industry
- Energy storage and monitoring systems
Students enrolled in Century College’s solar program will:
- Implement clean energy technologies that make a difference in the environment and promote social responsibility
- Participate on a team of technicians who design, install, and verify the performance of solar systems
- Belong to a green and sustainable industry that uses modern engineering tools and techniques to power the world
Interested in a career in Solar and Renewable Energy? Schedule a program tour!
Cost & Financial Aid
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities. With affordable tuition rates and financial aid and scholarship opportunities, our students avoid student loan debt.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and our programs qualify for financial aid including grants, loans, and college work-study. Eligibility for financial aid is determined annually based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Century College’s Federal School Code is 010546.
Each year, the Century College Foundation awards more than $300,000 in scholarships to our students. Students are encouraged to create an account and apply for scholarships online.
Target Corporation Solar Scholarship Program
New students enrolled in the Century College Solar Assessor certificate and Energy Technical Specialist degree program for Fall Semester 2022 may qualify to receive a scholarship toward tuition and supplies through the new Target Corporation Solar Energy Scholarship program.
If selected, the Target Corporation Solar Scholarship program will provide the following scholarships:
- $1,500 scholarships for tuition and supplies for the Solar Assessor certificate program
- $3,000 scholarships for tuition and supplies for the Energy Technical Specialist Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree
With low tuition rates and additional financial aid available at Century College, students can avoid loan debt while earning a credential in a high-demand, high-wage career field. Apply here!
Students of Color, Women and other underrepresented students/demographics will be given priority, however, all are welcome to apply!
Solar Energy Testimonials
Advanced planning is critical when you transfer.
Transfer Planning - Articulation Agreements
These agreements help students transfer to four-year institutions.
Potential Job Titles
- Solar/Photovoltaic Installer
- Solar Assessor
- Installation Supervisor
- Industrial Technician
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour
Average Wage: $18.22/hour
Top Earners: $23.36/hour
Average Wage: $36.88/hour
Average Wage: $15.00-$25.00/hour
Average Wage: $22.62/hour
* This is a new and emerging career field. Job title and salary data is difficult to estimate at this time. Please refer to the following websites for current information:
Minnesota Energy Careers | Minnesota Green Careers | Minnesota Renewable Energy Society
** After passing the Journeyman’s Exam and becoming a licensed electrician.
Information gathered pertains to seven county metro area - careerwise.minnstate.edu