About the Program
Learning a foreign language gives you a window into cross-cultural understanding by providing you with a fundamental tool: the ability to communicate directly with speakers of other languages. In addition to teaching you communication skills, foreign language classes deal with current and historical cultural, socio-political, and economic aspects of the regions where the language is spoken. Studying Spanish at Century College:
- Gives you a greater awareness and deeper understanding of other cultures.
- Prepares you for travel for business, education, or pleasure.
- Broadens your career opportunities.
- Helps you appreciate the aesthetics of literature, music, art, and folklore of other cultures.
- Helps you develop more flexibility in thinking processes through problem solving, conceptualizing, reasoning, and dealing with ambiguity.
- Enables you to transfer four semester courses (Beginning and Intermediate Spanish) to a four-year university.
- Connects you to the Spanish-speaking community through service learning projects.
Century College's Language Laboratory offers students the opportunity to practice the Spanish language in a comfortable setting. Language lab resources include computers to access audio programs and the Internet, videos, dictionaries, readers, maps, and current magazines.
Spanish Club activities include viewing and discussing films, fundraising events, weekly salsa dance instruction, museum and restaurant visits, celebrations of special days, and the opportunity to meet and hear speakers from Spanish-speaking countries.
In addition, Spanish language students are introduced to the Resource Center of the Americas (located in Minneapolis.) The Center's goal is “to promote human rights, democratic participation, economic justice, and cross-cultural understanding in the context of globalization in the Americas.”
Cost & Financial Aid
Century College can be extremely affordable through financial aid and scholarship opportunities.
As a two-year public community and technical college, Century College receives funding from the State of Minnesota, keeping tuition rates significantly lower than private colleges and universities.
Century College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Our programs qualify for federal financial aid including Pell Grants, Federal Direct Loans, and others.