International Student Services

  • Two international students at an international student dinner

    Welcome International Students!

    The International Student Services Team is glad you are here at Century College! We want you to be successful during your time with us. Below you will find forms and resources to help you navigate many F-1 International Student processes. If you need more information, please attend one of the many workshops we provide to help you along the way. Current F-1 International Students can visit the ISS D2L page for workshop information and announcements.

International Students at Century College are those who require an F-1 visa and are required to be registered under the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).  If you are not an International Student but you are looking for immigration related resources, you will find helpful information on the Immigrant and Refugee Resources page.

Maintain your F-1 Status: Rules and Regulations

Health Insurance

Health insurance is required for all F-1 international students at Century College. This requirement provides a healthcare plan and protects against financial hardship resulting from the need for medical care.

The United States does not have a national health care system available to non-immigrant students; therefore, the cost of medical care is the responsibility of each individual student. Healthcare in the U.S. is very expensive. Without insurance, one doctor’s visit can cost hundreds of dollars. One emergency room visit can cost thousands.

International students must purchase the system-approved health insurance, per the Minnesota State policy: Undergraduate Admissions Policy Part 5, Subpart B, #2. Students may also have supplemental insurance such as spousal insurance, or state insurance (if applicable), but they must still maintain the system-approved policy while attending Century College in F-1 status.

New students must pay the required insurance premium before registering for first semester classes.

Continuing students must pay the full annual insurance premium each year in July. Students who do not pay in full by the deadline will have their fall classes dropped.

Students should budget in preparation to pay approximately $2100 for the annual insurance premium each year in July. International Student Services will notify students of the annual premium amounts and due date as soon as it is available.

Students who later transfer out, graduate, or withdraw and depart the US may petition for a refund on a prorated basis through the insurance company. International Student Services can assist students with this petition.

2022-2023 International Student Health Insurance Plan

The 2022-2023 coverage runs August 10, 2022 - August 9, 2023. The annual premium is $2119.00. Payment is due by August 5, 2022 for current students and must be paid in full. Payment can be made in e-services or in the Business Office, W2340.

For more information on your United HealthCare StudentResources (UHCSR) health insurance plan including benefits and rates please click here. Be sure to login to your MyAccount for more personalized information after you enroll.

Optional Items: Once you are enrolled in the insurance plan you can add dental coverage for a limited time each year in August through MyAccount. You may also purchase health and dental coverage for dependents (spouse/children) through your MyAccount.

Any questions about your insurance plan and benefits can be directed to the Student Insurance Advocate at or 320-308-4855.


Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of employment authorization for international students. OPT is training designed to give students real world experience. OPT is for 12 months of employment, to be completed up to 14 months after program end date. Students need to meet with an International Student Advisor before applying for OPT.


Reminder: While on OPT you must report your employer information in the SEVP Portal or to a DSO. Failure to report will be recorded as unemployment time. After 90 days of unemployment, your record will be auto-terminated, and you will start accruing unlawful presence in the United States.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a type of alternate work/study, internship, co-operative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. The experience may be paid or unpaid. CPT must be an integral part of an established curriculum. Students must meet with an International Student Advisor to apply for CPT. 


On-Campus Employment

International students are eligible to work on-campus as student workers. However, not all student worker positions at Century College are open to international students. Use this Quick Guide to learn how to search for on-campus jobs. Visit the Career Services page for more information about on-campus jobs, preparing your resume, and more.


Economic Hardship Employment Authorization

Severe Economic Hardship is new, unexpected circumstances beyond the student’s control creating severe economic hardship. The employment authorization is granted by USCIS in increments of one year at a time. The authorization allows the student to work for any employer up to 20 hours per week while they are registered full-time. Students must meet with an International Student Advisor to apply for Economic Hardship Employment Authorization. 


Scholarships and Financial Help


Some Century College Foundation scholarships are open to International Students. All students are encouraged to apply! Applications are accepted at different times of the year for a variety of scholarships. Visit the Scholarship page for a complete listing of scholarships, application deadlines, as well as videos and workshops to help you through the application process.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators provides information on financial aid for undergraduate international students. Visit their website for more scholarship opportunities. 

Other Financial Help

All students can face unexpected financial hardships. There are resources on campus and in the community that can help! Because F-1 international students are not eligible for all existing resources (such as FAFSA based federal and state aid) we have created this helpful document to help connect you with resources available to F-1 students. Contact if you have any questions!


If an F-1 student has overstayed the authorized period on the I-20 plus 60 days or otherwise failed to maintain student status they may be reinstated to student status by applying to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Students should be aware that applications can be denied and usually cannot be appealed.


Tax Information for International Students

Filing federal income tax forms is the personal responsibility of each international student. All F-1 students and their dependents, regardless of whether or not they have earned money, are required to file an annual tax form. Tax forms must be postmarked no later than April 15 of each year. 

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is the part of the U.S. government responsible for collecting taxes and has resources to help you learn more about filing taxes. For more information about taxes in the United States, visit the Foreign Students and Scholars page on the IRS website. You can also review the handout below for additional information. 

Living in Minnesota

Resource and Support Center 

The Century College Resource and Support Center, in partnership with Counseling Services, helps students connect with a variety of campus and community resources to help them succeed inside and outside of the classroom. Students who are struggling with a financial emergency can meet with their assigned counselor to see if they may be eligible for emergency assistance funds.

Housing Options

Century does not offer housing on campus, but there are plenty of nearby options. HOMELine is a non-profit organization in Minnesota that provides free and low-cost legal, organizing, education, and advocacy services so that tenants throughout Minnesota can solve their own rental housing problems.

More Resources

Explore Minnesota!

The State of Minnesota offers exciting adventures in big cities, small towns, forests, lakes, and prairies! Visit these websites for information on events, restaurants, museums, shopping, theater, outdoor recreation and more!

Join the International Student Association at Century College to meet new friends and participate in fun activities at Century and in the community. For more information contact the faculty advisor, David Mekala at 651-773-1702 or E2699.


If you have questions about any of these forms or processes, please contact International Student Services at or call 651-779-3344. Current students can schedule an appointment with International Student Services in Starfish

If you are not yet a student at Century College but you would like to apply as an F-1 student, please visit our International Student Admissions for more information.

Emily Batres International Student Services Coordinator 651-779-3344 W1233