Welcome to Veterans Services at Century College! Our mission is to provide you with the resources and support needed to understand what benefits are available to you as a Veteran student so that you can make informed decisions. Together, we’ll work to help you achieve your academic and professional goals by providing individualized assistance regarding what military education benefits are available to you during your time at Century and how you can make the most of them.

  • Student studying in the Veterans Center.

    Important Notice for National Guard Students: It is your responsibility to inform your instructor that you have been called to duty and will not be attending class on-line and to notify the business office that you are on duty for the state and will not be making payments.

    Follow us on Facebook.

    GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

    Veterans_Application Waiver Picture.jpg

    Veterans Application Waiver
    Use the coupon code "VETS" to waive the $20 application fee!

Veterans Services Information

Checklist to Apply

Click here to view our interactive tutorial to apply and get started as a military student.

  1. Apply to Century College.
    Don’t forget to use the coupon code “VETS” to waive the $20 application fee! Also, the application asks if you’re a member of the armed forces, please be sure to check “yes."

  2. Apply for your military benefits.

  3. Apply for Financial Aid.
    This is important because in addition to your military education benefits, you may also qualify for other federal or state financial aid that can pay for expenses your other military funding may not cover.

  4. Take the Assessment Test.
    Students must complete Accuplacer testing prior to registering for courses. After admission, you should receive an email with more information on assessment testing.

  5. Complete Orientation.
    All new students are required to attend an orientation session. These sessions are where you register for classes. Once you’ve been accepted, you’ll be emailed instructions for orientation registration.

  6. Complete the Military Deferment Form in your myCentury portal.
    Doing this online form lets Century know what military benefits you intend to use.

  7. Request Military Transcripts be sent to Century.
    Your prior military experience may count for academic credit, so it doesn’t hurt to check!

  8. Select your Refund Preference with BankMobile Disbursements.
    When school starts, you will need to select a refund preference with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. You MUST designate an option for how you want to receive the funds. If you have any questions as you work through these steps, contact our Veterans Services Department 651-779-3904. For more information, visit the BankMobile Disbursements website.

Using Your Benefits at Century

Image of graduates smiling.

Information about Using Benefits

Knowing which benefits you’re eligible for can be exhausting. Here at Century College, we want to make sure you’re getting everything you’re eligible for and using your benefits as strategically as possible to pay for your college education at Century and beyond.

Deferment Policy:

Century College provides students using military benefits with a tuition deferment. Each term a student intends to use benefits, the student must notify the School Certifying Official (SCO) and they will ensure the tuition due date is pushed back until the end of the term.

Have you used your benefits at a previous school?

  • For students who are transferring from another college or university where they have already used VA educational benefits, please update your college information online at vets.gov to reflect that Century is your new current school. This form can be filled out through the VA's online application.

Student Responsibilities When Using Benefits at Century College:

When using your GI Bill® at Century, there are certain times students are required to notify the School Certifying Official (SCO) of changes or actions that need to be taken on your behalf:

  • Each term you intend to use your GI Bill® complete this form each semester to notify the SCO.
  • If you change your major or program of study at Century College
  • If you change your schedule after you let the SCO know you will be using benefits
  • A change to a schedule includes adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course

Karla Frieler is Century's School Certifying Official and can be reached by email or at 651-779-3296.

Applying for Your Benefits

Applying for Your Benefits

GI Bill® Benefits:

Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Selected Reserve

Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty

Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

Chapter 33, Post 9/11

Chapter 33 Transfer of Entitlement for Post 9/11

Chapter 35, Survivors and Dependents' Education Assistance

Minnesota Benefits:

State Tuition Reimbursement

Minnesota GI Bill® (For Fall 2019, complete the 2019-2020 application.)

Other: (cannot be used at the same time as Ch. 1606)

Army Federal Tuition Assistance

(Servicemembers are directed by DOD to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling in the institution.) 

Air Force Federal Tuition Assistance

(Servicemembers are directed by DOD to speak with their Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within their Military Service prior to enrolling in the institution.) 

Meet with Veterans Services

Image of Veteran standing in front of a chalkboard with equations written all of it.

Meet with Veterans Services

If you’re working on applying for your benefits but run into issues, we are here to help! You can contact Sarah Godsave for help with the following:

  • Understanding what benefits you’re eligible for
  • Assistance in applying for your benefits
  • Learning more about how to use your benefits to accomplish your long term academic and career goals

Karla Frieler, is Century’s School Certifying Official.

Charles Egerstrom is the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs North Regional Coordinator


Other Funding Sources

Other Funding Sources

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Regardless of using whether or not you’re using military benefits, you should still apply for Financial Aid at Century because…

  • It’s free! It costs nothing to apply and see if you qualify for any state or federal student financial aid.

  • If you’re getting federal GI Bill® benefits (Ch. 1606, Ch.1607, Ch. 33 Post 9/11, Ch. 31 Voc Rehab, etc), your benefits are NOT reduced if you receive financial aid. Many students don’t know this, but the VA will NOT reduce what they are paying for your military benefits if you receive financial aid. This means you could end up netting money if you’re eligible for gift aid.

  • It’s always good to have a backup option. Many students opt for using credit cards to help pay for school and school related expenses not realizing they have government loan options that tend to have lower interest rates than a credit card. You may also qualify for some government loans where the government will pay the interest on the loan while you’re in college.

 If you’d like to complete the FAFSA you can visit FAFSA.ed.gov to fill out the online application.

 If you have questions about completing the actual online application you can contact the Century College Financial Aid Office at W2201, by calling 651.779.3305, or emailing finaid@century.edu.

Minnesota GI Bill®

The Minnesota GI Bill® was established in 2007 to provide postsecondary financial assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans and service members as well as eligible spouses and children of deceased or severely disabled eligible Minnesota veterans. Full-time undergraduate or graduate students may be eligible to receive up to $3,000 per year and part-time students may be eligible to receive up to $500 per semester.

For more information, visit the Minnesota GI Bill®’s website. You can also apply online here.

Minnesota Veteran Education Assistance

Veteran Education Assistance is provided to Veterans in the form of a one-time $750 grant for tuition to those who have exhausted, through use, all of their GI Bill® benefits. This grant is paid directly to the institution, or may be reimbursed to the student upon verification that tuition has been paid. For more information and an application, visit the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs website.

Dr. Steve and Darla Frantz Leadership Scholarship

This scholarship program is intended to provide financial assistance to Minnesota State students who demonstrate leadership in academics, extracurricular activities and community or national service with a priority given to those who are serving or have served in good standing in any branch of the United States Military or other U.S. national service and have exhausted federal and state service related education benefits excluding the Minnesota GI Bill®.

Outside Scholarship Opportunities

The Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs hosts an outside scholarship search page; check it out by clicking here.

Minnesotans’ Military Appreciation Fund

MMAF is a non-partisan, non-political, 501(C)(3) non-profit corporation. The mission of MMAF is to say “thanks” to Minnesota Service members and their families who are making sacrifices in the defense of our freedoms in combat zones around the world.

For more information and application, visit http://www.thankmntroops.org. You’ll want to click on “Apply for Grant” on the top, right hand corner of the page.


Academic Support for Veteran Students (TRIO SSS)

Image of veterans standing in front of university sign.

Academic Support for Veteran Students (TRIO SSS)

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) - Veterans at Century College can provide assistance to you. We'll support and counsel you to ensure that you find the right transfer school, as well as give you the academic and personal support to enable you to achieve your educational goals.


The mission of TRIO SSS - Veterans is to increase the college retention, graduation, and transfer rates of veteran students, and to help our participants overcome obstacles they face to success in college.


To qualify for TRIO SSS - Veterans, you must meet the following federal eligibility criteria:

  • Be a student of modest income (receive a Pell Grant)
  • Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a Bachelors degree)
  • Have a documented disability (service-connected disabilities qualify)
  • Served at least 30 days on active duty


  • One-on-one tutoring for math and writing
  • Workshops sponsored or promoted by SSS Veterans
  • Individualized study skills assistance
  • College visits and transfer planning including assistance in choosing and applying for admission to four year schools
  • Professional development opportunities
  • Information about your benefits, financial aid and assistance in completing the FAFSA
  • Financial and economic literacy workshops and information
  • Assistance in translating military experience into the work world by providing resume and cover letter review and interview preparation


Download the application. It’s a fillable form, so once you’ve completed the application, save it to your computer and then email it to Sarah Godsave.

TRIO SSS Veteran Student Contact

Sarah Godsave for questions about eligibility and benefits.

John Hunter for Tutoring in Math.

Get Credit for Your Military Experience

Get Credit for Your Military Experience

Requesting Military Transcripts

Your military experiences may count for college credit, so it’s a good idea to have your military transcripts submitted to the college. Century’s Transfer/DARS office will evaluate your transcripts to determine possible transferability of work. Once evaluated, the college will provide you with a copy of your Degree Audit Report showing how your transcripts transferred in.

Request and submit military transcripts from:

Credit for Prior Learning

Prior learning refers to learning gained from a variety of sources outside the classroom. Students who can demonstrate equivalent college-level knowledge and skills may receive college credit for prior learning from experience and training. For more information, click here.

Military Transfer Credit

Coming Soon!

Veterans in the Classroom

Faculty member helping student with math.

Veterans in the Classroom

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) – Veterans

TRIO SSS – Veterans is a federally funded program that provides academic support to help veteran students earn their degrees at Century as well helps students transfer to colleges and universities to earn their Bachelors degree. For more information look at Academic Support for Veteran Students (TRIO SSS).

Access Services

Of the 2 million veterans expected to enroll in higher education, one quarter will have some type of disability. Oftentimes these disabilities go undisclosed because students do not realize they may be entitled to certain accommodations that will help them succeed in school. Depending on the percentage and extent of your service connected disability, you may be eligible for accommodations and assistance here at Century College.

Service Connected Physical Disabilities:

Examples include but are not limited to Traumatic Brain Injuries, Tinnitus (ringing in ears/vision or hearing loss), and chronic pain and mobility issues

Possessing a physical disability can affect your processing speed and ability to perform to the best of your abilities. Being on specific medications may cause fatigue, fogginess, and hurt your ability to think clearly from time to time.

Access Services can help to provide assistance to create space for you to demonstrate your knowledge despite these limitations. Here are a few examples of what might be an option for you to receive:

  • Extended test taking time in the Access Center
  • Limited distraction environment for test taking
  • Provision of a note taker to help take class lecture notes
  • Provision of test taking space that is more comfortable to help with issues of pain (ex. Standing desks, ergonomic chairs, both in the classroom and in the Access Center for testing)

Service Connected Mental Health Conditions:

Examples include but are not limited to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), sexual trauma, depression, and anxiety

Experiencing a mental health condition can affect your learning potential in the classroom. Depending on the severity and symptoms, students may have difficulties concentrating in and outside of the classroom.

Access Services can help you identify and work out a plan for your symptoms. Here are a few examples of what might be an option for you to receive:

  • Assistance in creating a plan of action to help minimize anxiety triggers or symptoms that you experience on campus or in the classroom
  • Examples: ensuring student awareness of days when campus fire drills are scheduled; ensuring reserved classroom seating near a classroom exit door
  • Referrals to counseling/mental health resources if desired
  • Possible provision of extended test taking time in a limited distraction setting

How do I start using Access Services?

  • Meet with Access Services to learn more about what might be available to you. All meetings are completely confidential. Meeting with Access Services does not mean you are required to use accommodations.
  • Access Services can work with students who don’t have a “Diagnostic Summary” (the paperwork documenting the extent of the disability), but after a grace period, they will require you submit medical documentation to continue receiving accommodations.
  • Contact Access Services to set up an appointment 651-779-3354 OR email Melissa Traxler
  • For more information about Access Services visit their website.

Personal Counseling

If you have personal concerns that are keeping you from succeeding academically at Century College, our Counseling Office can help. Our counselors can meet with you or we can refer you to off-campus agencies, if needed. Call 651-779-3285 to schedule an appointment with a counselor. For more information click here.

Veteran Student Life

Veterans in the Nest smiling.

Veteran Student Life

Veterans' Club

The Veterans Club supports and celebrates the Veterans of the Armed Forces. Contact the club advisor for more information about when the club meets.

For more information contact Steve Anderson, 651-748-5326, W3053.

TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) – Veterans

TRIO SSS – Veterans is a federally funded program that provides academic support to help veteran students earn their degrees at Century as well helps students transfer to colleges and universities to earn their Bachelors degree. For questions about signing up for the TRIO program, email Sarah Godsave.

Resources for Veterans

Further Resources for Veterans

VA Education Benefits Customer Service

Need to talk to the VA directly about your benefits and payments? You can contact them a few different ways:

Phone: 1-888-442-4551

Ask a question online.

Check the status of your benefits.

National Guard J-1 Education Office

If you are a member of the MN National Guard, the J-1 Education Office can help answer questions about Federal Tuition Assistance, Ch. 1606 GI Bill, and the State Tuition Reimbursement program.

Phone: 651-282-4589

Email: ng.mn.mnarng.mbx.assets-education@mail.mil​

Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs:

Have questions about using your benefits? Contact the Minnesota Department of Veteran Affairs North Regional Coordinator, Charles Egerstrom.

Phone: 763-433-1113 OR 651-336-2371

Email: charles.egerstrom@state.mn.us

Ramsey County Veterans Services:

Your Veteran Services Office can help you with Federal and State Benefits.

Phone: 651-266-2545; Fax: 651-266-2546

Email: askveteransservice@co.ramsey.mn.us

VA Medical Care for Student Veterans

Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL) is a Veteran-centered, results oriented collaboration between the Minneapolis VA Health Care System and higher education. We strive to enhance academic retention and success by meeting the student Veteran (or service member) where they are – on campus! 

For more information, click here.

St. Paul Vet Center

Vet Centers across the country provide a broad range of counseling, outreach, and referral services to combat Veterans and their families. Vet Centers guide Veterans and their families through many of the major adjustments in lifestyle that often occur after a Veteran returns from combat. Services for a Veteran may include individual and group counseling in areas such as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), alcohol and drug assessment, and suicide prevention referrals. All services are free of cost and are strictly confidential.

For more information about what services are provided at the Vet Center, visit their website.

Phone: 651-644-4022 or 1-877-927-8387

Fax: 651-917-2555

Address: 550 County Road D West, Suite 10, New Brighton, MN 55112

Minneapolis VA Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC)

The Minneapolis VA CRRC’s mission is to support Veterans who are experiencing homelessness, or who are at risk of homelessness, or serious mental illness by promoting physical and mental health, assisting in securing and maintaining housing, and by working with Veterans to achieve increased community integration. The center supplies needed resources and help Veterans overcome barriers they may experience. Services provided at the center include counseling, medical care, prevention, employment services, housing referrals, benefits, substance abuse treatment, personalized psychosocial rehabilitation, and more. The center also includes a Primary Care Clinic, multipurpose room with kitchen for classes, laundry, showers, group rooms, community rooms, and a computer lab.

For more information about their services, visit their website.

Phone: 612-313-3240

Address: 1201 Harmon Place, Minneapolis, MN 55403

Lutheran Social Services C.O.R.E. Program

Looking for an alternative to the VA for support resources? Lutheran Social Services C.O.R.E. program provides service members and their families with a free individualized plan of action to access a broad range of services such as:

  • Individual, Family & Couples Counseling
  • Assessment, Therapy and Trauma-based, Best Practice Care
  • Deployment and Reintegration Support for Veterans
  • Budget and Debt Management Counseling
  • Anger and Stress Management
  • Resources and Referrals
  • Support Groups

For more information, visit their website.​